Chapter 14

***Up top is Eric

Eric

The cheap, plastic alarm clock read nine am with it's big, red, numbers. Oh crap. Did I sleep too long? Where is everyone? I reached for my glasses on the remains of the end table and looked around. Owen was still asleep. If you could call sprawled on a torn up couch on your back sleeping. Owen could sleep anywhere.

Soft music floating in from the kitchen. Ali. For the first time I felt my pockets for my phone. It was still there. I was already scrolling through my contacts when I stopped. Who would I call? Everyone I ever talked to besides some exes who would probably kill me, were traveling with me. I had a feeling we weren't supposed to tell anyone we were here. Even going on social media was a risk. I shoved my phone back into my pocket and it hit something. Half expecting to see the amulet in my pocket, I flinched when I realized it was the mirror. There was some kind of writing in the background and I couldn't translate it. Hopefully it didn't say something like "You will be skinny and ugly and forever alone."

"You will lose someone you love." The voice had said. Ali, Owen, and Celia. I gripped the mirror in my hand hard, and shoved it back into my pocket. No.

A cough brought me out of my thoughts. Owen had shifted, rolling on the shredded remains of the couch. Cathan was sleeping on the chair, shivering and coughing. I went over to him and knelt down. What do you do when someone's sick? Oh. I felt his forehead, which was practically on fire. Ali would know what to do. I went to get up but Cathan grabbed my arm, his bright green eyes stared up at me, even brighter against his red face.

"I'll be right back." I held up a finger, shushing him, and went into the kitchen. Sure enough, Ali was standing at the stove, cooking some eggs. I tried to make some noise as to not startle her.

"Hey Ali, you have some meds in here? Cathan's coughing up a storm and I think he has a fever." I opened up the first cabinet I saw. Plates...

"How did he get sick? All we've been doing is driving? Doesn't matter, I can do that." She reached into a drawer with meds, go figure, and pulled out some tylenol and a water bottle from the fridge and made to walk out of the kitchen.

"Unless you want me cooking let me do that." I gave her a pointed look.

"Yeah you're right. I want eggs, not ashes." She handed me the meds and went back to cooking, humming what sounded like The Four Seasons. She has horrible taste in music.

I went back to Cathan. "Sit up." I leaned him up against me and handed him the pills. "It will help." I explained. He took the pills and swallowed them down with water.

"Here." I jumped. Ali had snuck up on us with a cold washcloth. "It will help bring down his fever."

I pressed it to Cathan's forehead. His eyes were closed. There was something so fragile about him, I couldn't help but to stare at his flushed cheeks and the sweat that caused his hair to stick to his forehead. I made to lay him down and get up but Cathan's voice stopped me.

"Stay." He whispered. "Please."

So I did, with Cathan resting on my shoulder, shuddering every now and then until he fell back asleep.

"You like him." Owen said softly.

"Don't start with me Owen." I said gruffly.

"Dude, you're letting him lay against you. When was the last time someone did that and they weren't Celia or Ali? You aren't even like this with your dates. Just... don't let Jess see you looking at him like that, or she might actually commit murder." Owen cautioned.

For once I was actually speechless. He was cute, but love was the furthest thing from my mind. I would only end up hurting him. Like I hurt everyone.

There was a crash as Celia came rushing in, grabbing bags and shoving Owen. "We have to go."

"Cathan's sick." I protested.

"Demons are here. We have to get out of here. They are going to be demanding that amulet and guess who has it? Cathan. He can't even defend himself right now. So let's run." Celia slung bags over her shoulder and grabbed the bow and jacket, shoving it into my arms and calling for Ali.

Owen didn't hesitate. He took Cathan from me, lifting him like a small child and carried him out of the room toward the car. I followed uneasily, ready to defend if necessary.

They shoved everything into the car while I helped Cathan get buckled into the back."Ali, he's still shivering."

"Okay, yeah." Ali handed me a thick purple blanket from over the seats, gripping his hand as she did. I thought I saw a bright light come from between their hands but I shrugged it off.

"Why do you care so much?" Jess' tone was as sharp as a blade. "Let me sit next to him."

"Jess, stop." Cathan whined, leaning against me even more, which just made me want to do my best to hide him from prying eyes. I covered him in the blanket and avoided her eyes.

She recoiled with a look on her face as though he had personally slapped her.

"If we are attacked, Eric is the most likely person to protect him. We need to worry about protecting you." Celia explained gently.

"I'm not five! You don't have to talk to me like that." She snapped. Owen was right. She would kill me.

We drove through the forest toward town. Cathan fell back asleep, leaning against my shoulder. The dock was just in sight and demons were flanking us on either side.

"Ali, let's go." Owen cautioned from the front seat.

"I know." She whipped the car around and slid into a parking spot. "Let's hurry."

They came at us, crowding around the car, opening the doors, and pulling us out. Cathan was out of my grip but he managed to kick and punch his way to freedom.

We ran as quickly as we could onto the boat. I could see red eyed children, but none of them were attacking us, just the teenagers. They stood there, hissing and snapping at us like dogs. The scent of death surrounded them.

I kicked the demon trying to reach for me and grabbed the bow and arrows from the back seat. Running out of the car I reached Cathan, tossing both to him. Wet hair, dazed eyes, but with a fire I haven't seen from him before, he fired two shots into the chests of the demons, and I stood there, mesmerized. I didn't even notice when one of them came up to me and there was a blade to my throat.

My Katana hand was still free, and with a well aimed stab, I cut his thigh and he went down. A sharp pain shot through my ribs made me close my eyes and bit back a scream.

Someone grabbed my arm and practically dragged me back onto the boat and down the stairs, where I collapsed into one of the booths, clutching my side. There was a stab wound right there, and I swore under my breath.

"Are you okay?" Ali asked

"I guess. It's just a little cut." I winced. "I'll be okay for the time being. Go ahead and search the ship."

"Nothing. Nothing is out there, and no one is following us." Owen said, coming down the stairs.

"I think they just wanted us off of the island to be honest." I said. "There were some of those demons at the docks that weren't going to attack us."

"True. But that doesn't mean there won't be more waiting for us when we get to shore that will attack." Ali started pacing.

"How is Cathan?" I asked.

"He's a ton better. Jess is trying to convince him to come down and sleep. Maybe he can take a look at your wound." Owen gestured to the blood on my shirt.

"I'll be okay." I muttered, suddenly very annoyed. "I'm just going to lie here."

"No signs of ships anywhere." Celia propped herself against one of the vending machines. "Anyone have a dollar?"