Chapter 13

***Up top is Lucas Hall

Lucas POV

"Leave the island." I ordered, waving my hand toward the door.

Raina stepped toward me but I put my hand up, effectively silencing whatever blabbering was going to come out of that mouth. "No, leave. I will follow them. He put me in charge and now I am telling you what to do."

"You don't know what you're demanding of me, child." She glared at me with those icy eyes.

"These demons are only under my control because he granted me that gift Raina. You? You have no such gift. They cannot and will not follow you. So I suggest if you want to live, you do as I ask." I put my feet up on the coffee table and stretched my arms behind my head. "Besides, if you are caught, you'll be killed. They don't even know I'm alive."

"What's your grand plan then?" She folded her arms across her chest. "Kill them? They were your friends at one point weren't they?"

"No. I won't kill them. They are Companions are they not? They are valuable to our cause. Especially Ali and Cathan. They will be the ones to bring Eutriv to her knees. We only need to push them a little. Make them gather the remaining amulets. Was this not explained to you earlier Raina?" I loved scolding her like a child.

Her scowl turned into a satisfied smile. "I understand a lot more than you. But don't worry. I'm keeping Will, just so you know. He needs the extra initiative."

I didn't let my mask slip. There was no way to stop her right now. Not without exposing myself. "Fine, whatever."

There was silence as the door shut behind her. How dare she take him away just to end up with more bruises. I fisted my hands in my hair.

"You're just letting me go?" That soft voice floated from behind me.

"I don't have a choice." I couldn't meet his gaze. "I'm sorry."

Will crouched in front of me. In one swift movement he grabbed my shirt collar and shoved me back into the chair, cutting off my windpipe. "You have a choice, asshole. You just don't want to make it. You want it to happen. You get off on it don't you?"

I fought against his strength and brought my hand up to his cheek, rubbing circles under his bright green eyes. I could feel the anger from his face melt in my palm. He relieved the pressure but didn't take his hand away. "I promise I will get you out of their control. I swear, I will get you out of this hell."

"You could just tell her I'm yours. Tell her she can't take me away." He released me and rubbed his ribs, which were still healing. "Then I would be by your side."

"You know what would happen if I did that." I stood up, running my fingers through my curly red hair nervously.

Will looked around frantically before slamming his fist into the wall."Please."

I winced at the desperation in his voice. "I promise. You will get out of this. They won't hurt you anymore."

He backed out of my outstretched arms, rubbing his neck nervously. "We can't get caught. Father would not be very happy. He would punish me."

"I don't care what he thinks." I balled my hands into fists.

"Don't lie to me." Will sneered. "I just heard you. You won't admit to anyone what this is. You won't tell Raina so you won't tell Father. I know how this works, remember? I stay the good dog and get beaten and you keep playing the worthwhile king of all, isn't that right? But apparently you don't care about whether or not he finds out? I'm dead if he finds out."

"He can't kill you and you know that." I smiled. "You're too valuable."

"You make me sound like an antique, too valuable to sell. Is that how you see me?" He shouted.

"You know how I see you."

"Sometimes I wonder." Will's eyes were filled with doubt.

"Stop being so cynical. This will all work out in our favor, you'll see. I have a plan." I looked around, listening for any signs of company, before gripping his face in between my hands, pressing those lips to my own.

He returned the pressure, and before I could turn this into a proper kiss, Will shoved me into the couch and stormed to the door. "I'll believe it when I see it." And slammed it behind him.

"Azon." I called.

"Yes?" The man appeared in front of me out of a cloud of smoke. His blood red eyes contradicted the bleach blonde of his hair. Unlike most demons, he was a teenager, and powerful too.

"Chase them off this island. We need to point them in the right direction. Don't kill them, just poke them a little." I dismissed him with a wave.