CH.64 Basil Hunts

Start from the beginning

"I understand," he said quietly after a while. "I can see how what he was doing would have messed with your mind."

Mavi nodded, dropping her eyes.

"And I'm sorry...." Owen continued. "I'm sorry for not being open with you. I'm sorry I don't always share how I'm feeling......I can't help but think that if maybe I was better at this communication thing then maybe you would have been more willing to share all this with me earlier."

Mavi didn't know how to respond. His words struck a chord in her heart as she felt tears rise up. All the anger, frustration, and hurt she had been pushing down was rising up to the surface like boiling milk.

Owen pulled her to his chest as she began to cry into her hand. He held her against himself as he felt Mavi's hot tears on his skin.

"I'm so sorry, baby girl." Owen kissed her forehead. "I let my insecurities get the best of me..... You are all that I have......and even the thought of losing you send me spiraling down a dark path."

"You are never going to lose me if you stop pushing me away," Mavi pulled away again to look at him. "I have fought for you over and over and over...... what more do I need to do to show you that it will always be you?"

"Mavi...." Owen sat up as he cupped her face. "You've always been too good for me..... I don't deserve this....... There's always this ticking in the back of my head that you are going to disappear like everything else in my life."

Mavi eyes filled with more tears as she shook with sobs, "I'm not going anywhere."

"Promise me?" Owen's voice shook.

"I promise," Mavi said as she climbed onto his lap and straddled him. She buried her face in the crook of his neck as she cried against his bare skin. Owen wrapped his arms around her waist as she held her tightly and inhaled her scent.

"I love you," He said to her. "I love you so much."

"I love you will never be enough," Mavi said quietly, turning her head. "Never enough to tell you how i really feel."

Owen laughed through the tears that had gathered in his eyes and pulled Mavi's mouth down to his. Her lips were soft and salty from crying. He savored her taste as she melted against his tongue. As her hands gripped his hair on the back of his neck, Owen felt his mother's ring around her finger. He pulled her closer, as if he could mold them into one. His hands pushed her hair back as she crushed herself against him.

"Oh my god," Rye's whine filled the room. "Can my children please for the love of God not make my grand babies in the hospital? I have a reputation here, people. Mavi, get off of him!"

Owen released Mavi instantly and held his hands up in the air.

"Sorry, your grace," he quickly said to Rye.

"Mavi!" Rye pushed her daughter when the princess didn't move. "He could have internal bleeding and you being on top of him isn't helping."

"Sorry," Mavi scrambled off her mate.

Rye mumbled under her breath as she picked up Owen's chart. She went through the routine, checked the spot where the jinn had stabbed him and finally gave him the okay to be released.

"Why are you wasting my time?" She asked Owen as he rose from the bed. "You're completely fine."

"Mavi wanted me to come," Owen said looking at his mate.

"Don't let her boss you around," Rye laughed as she signed his forms.

"Yes, ma'am."

"How are Gem and Eggs doing?" Mavi asked Rye.