Ch.17 Over her heart

Chapter 17

"Please don't tell Dad or Eggs," Mavi begged Gemma as she pulled her into the greenhouse and closed the door.

Gemma was stunned by what she had just walked into, "Mavi...."

"Gemma, please," Mavi begged again. "Promise me."

"Mavi....you were about to kiss him," Gemma stated.

"Yeah," Mavi tried to remain calm. "So what?"

"He's not your mate," Gemma pointed out.

"Oh for fuck's sake!" Mavi yelled in frustration. "Exton slept with half the kingdom, mom had a boyfriend and dad and Aunty Rose were engaged! But god forbid I look at another man who isn't my mate!"

Gemma blinked at the honesty of Mavi's rage. She knew the girl was right, but she also knew the hell Exton and Xavier would have raised if they had been the one to walk in here instead of her.

Mavi looked at Gemma with pleading eyes, "Gem, please....you can't tell anyone about this."

Gemma didn't know what to say. She knew things like this never stayed hidden. But as she looked at the desperation in the girl's eyes she was reminded of the times Exton had come to visit her in the veil. She too would have begged anyone if it meant keeping him safe.

Slowly, Gemma nodded to Mavi's relief.

"You have to tell me everything," Gemma said sternly. "How far has this gone?"

Mavi took a deep breath and agreed to Gemma's demands.

"Have you slept with him?" Gemma suddenly asked.

"What?" Mavi almost laughed. "No! Of course not. I don't even know if he likes me like that..."

"Mavi?" Gemma looked at her sister in law as if she were the dumbest thing on earth. "Have you seen the way the boy looks at you? Everyone has noticed....and they were all hoping it wasn't true. But apparently not."

Mavi began to chew on her bottom lip. Her mind hadn't yet processed what was going on. She had almost kissed Owen. Owen had almost kissed her. Gemma was telling her Owen looked at her a certain way....it was all too much.

"Does he know how you feel about him?" Gemma pushed for answers.

"No," Mavi shook her head.

"How do you feel about him?"

Mavi didn't know how to answer the question. She opened her mouth and no words came out. Her mind was racing and her heart followed. A terrifying truth was starting to blossom in her chest.

"Mavi?" Gemma took a step closer to the girl. The rays of light from the garden lamps seeping in through the glass of the greenhouse casted shadows over Mavi's face. But Gemma saw the way her eyes moved. She knew that expression all too well....

"Oh my god," Gemma said in a whisper, "You're in love with him."

Gemma's words finally broke the dam in Mavi's heart. The truth that had been fighting to get out was released into the world. She knew what it was deep down, but was terrified to admit it. Yet, when she heard Gemma say the words, it was as if she was finally free.

Mavi began to weep. Slowly and quietly at first. But then her shoulders began to shake as heavy tears poured out of her eyes.

She was a mess of emotions. Fear, happiness, confusion, uncertainty, and so much love....

"Aw baby," Gemma pulled Mavi into her arms. "Don't cry, please."

Mavi wrapped her arms around Gemma's body and buried her face in her shoulder.