CH. 49 A gift

Chapter 49

"How did she manage to slip through without anyone noticing?" Owen's loud voice flew through the closed doors of his office as Mavi sat inside. He was outside talking to the king's guards and the witches Gemma had brought to the palace for extra protection.

"Is someone letting her through?" Owen demanded to know. Mavi knew instantly that his mind was traveling back to Arion in the dungeon.

"I need answers," Owen growled.

Mavi couldn't take it anymore. She knew he was stressed and he had every right to be, but she had just gotten out of a meeting with her father and Exton and now Owen was shouting up a storm.

Babe, Mavi opened her link to him. Please come inside.

When she felt Owen close off his link and shut her out, Mavi's eyes narrowed at nobody in particular inside the empty office. With great irritation, she stood from the chair she had been perched in and opened the door.

The large hall swam with dead silence as Owen and Basil stood in front of the king's guards glaring at them. As Mavi exited the office, only the sounds of her shoes hitting the marble floor echoed from the walls.

Owen sensed his mate before his eyes found her. He maintained his angry expression as his eyes followed Mavi.

"I would like to speak with you Beta Owen," Mavi announced, her voice loud and clear, making sure everyone in the hall heard her.

Mavi, not now. I have to- Owen started through the link, but Mavi shut him out.

"Now." She demanded. "In your office."

As Mavi watched the corner of Owen's mouth twitch with amusement, she turned on her heels and marched back into the office. After a minute, she felt the heat on the back of her neck rise as he entered and closed the door behind him.

"Did you shut off your link to me?" Mavi demanded as she whirled around to face him.

"Did you order me to follow you in front of the whole king's guard?" Owen titled his head to one side, the amused smile still playing in his lips.

Mavi folded her arms across her chest and frowned, "Do not shut off your link to me. Ever again."

"Or what?" Owen asked. His brown eyes searched Mavi's grumpy face as he took a step forward. His gaze made Mavi's heart flutter as she glared at him.

"Are you pouting, princess?" Owen lowered his head to get a better look at Mavi's face. "What did I say about you pouting?"

Mavi's breath quickened from the way Owen was looking at her. He was in a playful mood, making sure to take his time to tease Mavi. She pulled in her bottom lip in between her teeth and bit down upon it, trying to not let him derail her irritation.

The corner of Owen's lips twitched once again as he reached out and pulled Mavi's lip out with his thumb.

"Bad habit, Bambi," he whispered into her ear. Mavi nodded breathlessly as he pushed her hair back and began to kiss her ear and jaw. Her mind blanked as she felt his warm lips upon her. She wanted him again and the thought of him bending her over his desk sounded very pleasing. But when Owen pulled back too quickly, Mavi almost let out a little whimper of annoyance as she tried to grab onto his jacket to keep him from moving away.

Owen shook his head laughing as he took a seat on the edge of his desk.

"I'm sorry, princess, "Owen said as he pulled her in between his legs. "The whole King's guard is out there and you, my love, are very loud."