CH.43 Lillies

Chapter 43

Mavi was forced to move to the chair beside Owen's bed when Rye came to check his vitals. She sat with her arms wrapped around her legs and her chin rested on her knees as Rye did her round.

"Mavi," Alec said. "You should really go get some rest."

Mavi shook her head. Alec turned to look at Rye who sighed and looked at her daughter over her shoulder.

"We tried," She told Alec. "But she won't move."

Alec slowly walked around his brother's bed and stood in front of Mavi, "Owen will be pissed if he finds out I let you stay here all night."

As Mavi heard his words, she held back a sob. Owen would be pissed..... He was always worried about Mavi.

"If the roles were reversed," Mavi looked up at Alec. "Would he leave?"

Alec sighed. He knew his brother would rather burn down the whole world then leave Mavi's side if she was in his condition.

"I'm not going anywhere," Mavi said stubbornly when Alec didn't answer her.

Alec struggled to come up with some logic to help her see that she needed to go rest. When he came up empty, he turned away and walked back to Rye.

"We're giving him healing clay," Rye informed Alec. "It's helping to absorb some of the poison.....but it's not working fast enough."

Alec nodded as he pushed his hands into his pant's pockets. Behind them, Mavi picked up her head at the mention of healing clay.

Healing.....Mavi thought to herself. Dragon blood has healing properties.

As hope blossomed in her chest like a new spring flower, Mavi wiped her face and tucked her hair behind her ears. She jumped up from her seat and walked up next to Alec.

"Can I see you outside for a second?" she asked him.

Rye and Alec looked at each other. When Alec turned back to look at Mavi he found her pleading with him with her round gray eyes. He nodded and then slowly followed her out. As they stepped outside, he watched her as she slid the glass door closed behind her.

"I need to go see Fals," Mavi said quickly.

"What?" Alec asked in confusion. "Are you crazy?"

"I need to see him, it's very important."

"Mavi, he's locked up and not to mention he's dangerous.....he only looks like Owen, he's not like him at all"

"I know that," Mavi said in irritation. "That's why I'm telling you to come with me."

Alec's eyes flickered to Rye though the glass as he hesitated.

"Please, Alec," Mavi urged him. "I think I know how to help Owen."

Alec's green eyes moved back to Mavi. He took a deep breath and ran his hand through his dark hair.

"Please," Mavi said through her teeth once more.

Alec looked back to Rye. Should he inform the king or at least the prince about what she was asking for?

"Please, Alec!" Mavi grabbed his hand.

"Okay, okay," Alec said. "Fine, I'll do it."

"Thank you," Mavi sighed. She dropped his hand and took a step back.

Mavi asked Alec to give her a second as she went back into the room and pulled on the slippers Rye had brought in for her. She placed a quick kiss on Owen's cheek and rushed out. Rye wondered what she was up to, but didn't stop her.