CH.58 Dirty Martini

Chapter 58

Mavi turned the keys in her hand as she walked up the stairs to her room smiling. She was giddy just thinking about all her and Owen would do in their new home. Mavi had never thought it would be possible for her to have her own little place. The palace was all she knew and it wasn't really hers no matter what people said. Certain guidelines had to be followed when picking paint colors or wall decorations....the palace was a stage.....not really a home.

Owen's thoughtfulness always surprised Mavi. They were one and the same. He would forever read her thoughts and desires before she even uttered the words.

"Talk about a grand gesture," Heyder's voice startled Mavi as she rounded the corner at scone fall avenue.

"Jesus," Mavi hissed as she dropped her keys. But before they could touch the ground Heyder flickered his hand, making them pause midair. Mavi watched as he brought the keys up and placed them on her palm.

"Thank you," she said.

"Always," Heyder leaned against the wall lazily and stared at Mavi. "Are you happy?"

"About?"

Heyder pointed to the keys.

"Yes," Mavi chuckled. "So very happy.....Owen....he....he's perfect."

"Nothing is ever perfect."

"No," Mavi said. "But my Owen is."

Heyder nodded quietly as he folded his arms across his chest and crossed his ankle, getting comfortable. Mavi shifted from side to side as she twirled the keys in her hand and waited for the jinn to say something.

"What do you want to ask me?" Heyder spoke up after a while.

Mavi pushed her hair over her shoulder and shook her head. "I have been thinking about something...."

"Please do share."

"When I was in Morocco with you, I was trying to open my link to Owen.....but his link was closed off...."

Heyder's expression remained unchanged as he waited for Mavi to continue.

"And when I got back, Eggs told me that my link was closed.....it was you, wasn't it?"

"Yes," Heyder said flatly.

Mavi blinked in surprise. She wasn't startled by the fact that her suspicion was correct. She was startled by how quickly Heyder admitted to blocking her link.

"Are you upset?" Heyder asked Mavi when she didn't speak.

"Yes, obviously," Mavi narrowed her eyes. "Why....you.....you're not going to even try to hide the fact that you did something wrong?"

"You asked if it was me who blocked your link and I answered," Heyder shrugged. "I don't lie to you."

"Now that's a lie."

"How?" Heyder asked, confused.

"I've asked you countless times why you're helping us and what you want in return, you haven't answered."

"Just because I haven't answered you doesn't mean I am lying to you," Heyder pointed out. "Maybe I don't want to answer your questions because I can't lie to you."

"Why can't you lie to me?"

"I chose not to answer that question," Heyder smiled.

"Why did you block my link?"