CH.53 Keep talking

Chapter 53

"I can not stop looking at him," Manya gushed as she hugged Maksim to her chest.

True to his words, Owen had portaled Manya to the palace in hopes of getting her to help find the jinn. However, Manya refused to talk about anything until she met Maksim.

"My first grand baby!" Manya almost shed a tear as she kissed Maksim.

Owen wrapped his arms around Mavi and placed his chin on her shoulder. He couldn't get over the feeling of his heart being so full as he watched Manya talk to Maksim and cuddle him.

"He looks just like you," Manya said to Owen as she turned to look at him. "Look at those eyes! AH! My handsome boy!"

Mavi laughed from her spot in Owen's arms and leaned her head back. She felt him place a kiss on her shoulder as his arms tightened around her waist.

"I hate to break up such a tender moment," Caspian from from where he stood at the top of the stairwell. "But we need answers."

Manya watched Caspian descend the stairs carefully as she handed Maksim over to Mavi. The last time Manya had seen Caspian, we saw the vision of youthfulness. But now, as her eyes looked over his familiar features, she saw how much he had aged.

"So it's true?" Manya asked. "You really did give up your immortality."

"It was overrated," Caspian rolled his eyes.

"What will happen to your husband and your son now once you grow old like the rest of us and die?"

Mavi felt uncomfortable with the way the two spoke. She knew Caspian's immortality was something he didn't like to talk about. Exton had tried countless times to pursue him to let Gemma or the shamans make him an elixir to prolong his life, but Caspian refused every time.

"Let me go with dignity," He would always say. "I don't need borrowed time."

And then Exton would grow angry and grumpy and threaten him by saying Gemma would bring him back to life once he died.

"I made my bed, and now I must lie in it!" Caspian had once said smacking Exton with the folded fan he was holding. "Stop being so obsessed with me, god. People might think you actually like me."

Mavi had always admired Caspian's choice of letting his immortality go. But ever since she met Owen, her mind had changed. How could one not want to spend an eternity with the person they loved?

As she watched Caspian come down to the bottom of the stairwell, Mavi made a mental note to speak to Owen about when they should drink the elixir for themselves.

Rye had gained her immortality as soon as Xavier had marked her. His pure lycan blood made it easier for them. Exton and Gemma drank the elixir of immortality at their wedding. It was Xavier's gift to them and Mavi was sure her father had saved some for her and her mate as well.

"They will have to live with my memories like every other happy soul on earth," Caspian said as he fixed his top hat and bowtie. "That is how it should be."

"Yes," Manya nodded watching the extravagantly dressed merman.

"So where is this jinn?" Caspian raised a brow as he rubbed his satin gloved hands together in excitement. "Is he in a lamp?"

"No," Manya shook her head. "He's in Morocco."

Caspian's face fell, "Well that's no fun."

"He's no fun," Manya rub her arm as if she got chills just thinking about the smokeless being. "Are you sure you want to mess with him?"