I grab the sides of my head and lower it towards the desk.

Why can't I just shut up in my head? I'm not worried about him. I don't even care whether or not he comes to school. If he died on the way home last night, too bad.

My heart pounds harder in my chest.

I need him though. Without him, I return to everything boring in my life. He can't be dead.

That's the only reason you care?

"Yes."

"Yes, what?" A familiar voice says as the scraping of metal on the tile floor echoes in front of me. My head snaps up to see Daxon sitting down at his desk.

My pulse relaxes and a sigh of relief leaves me.

My lifestyle has been preserved. I can still kill people and shit.

He furrows his brow at me.

"Why are you late today? Slept in?" My eyes scroll up and down his body as a light layer of sweat shines off his forehead.

"It took a while before my guys could bring me my new car, so I walked halfway and they picked me up. They left the car and went home in another one." Daxon says, running his fingers through his damp hair.

Ew, he better not touch me today. Not before he washes his hands.

"What do you mean 'your guys'? They just bring you new cars?" Maybe he can get me one.

"They're the same people who cleaned up the bodies from yesterday and Moe from before." He places his book bag down and kicks it under the desk.

"How can they erase all of that?" He has to be working with people below the law. What did I expect, I like it like this.

"They have connections in big places." He smirks at me and I nod.

Who the fuck is Daxon?

Just when I think I've got somewhat a hold on him, he fucks it up and I'm back at square one, starting at a stranger.

"No more questions. Your eyes look too deep. You look at people like you're analyzing them, like right now." He comments, turning around to face the board.

I scoff, probing my elbow up and leaning my face against my hand.

He notices way too much.

Class flies by and Daxon enjoys himself, pushing his chair into my leaning desk while Mr. Bunnet almost loses his mind.

I don't want to play around with this guy either. He's annoying.

The bell rings and Mr. Bunnet relaxes his clenched fist and lets out a sigh.

"Get out, just get out." He waves the class out and sits down in his chair with a thump, sending Daxon and I one last glare as we walk out the class.

Daxon chuckles as we head to our next classes. I roll my eyes.

"Stop following me. Your class is that way." I point in the opposite direction. He laughs harder.

"Come on, Naomi. Let me walk you to class." I glance over at him and blink.

"No thanks. You'll be late." I say, as we turn the corner pf the hallway and he still trails after me.

I don't hate it. I hate that.

"Aw, are you worried about me? You don't want me to get in trouble?" He sing-songs in my ear. I squeeze my eyes shut and take a deep breath, popping them open and letting a heavy exhale out.

"Of course I am. So you better get going." I say, flashing him my teeth.

"I'm not scared. I can handle it." He says, bumping into my side.

"Fuck off." My face betrays me and shows a hint of a smile.

"We already know how much you-" I cut him off as we stop in front of my classroom.

"Cool. This is my stop. Bye." I send him a nod and dive into the room before he can respond.

"Bye!" He raises his voice a bit, as my classmates stare between us. I wave him off.

I hate to get hurt. I don't like it.

People like Daxon used to come in my life all the time, saying they were here to help me and we would be friends but when they realized I was just a piece of shit, they would dig their claws into my bleeding scar.

Fine. That's all fine.

I've learned my lesson and I'd be a fool to fuck up and go against everything my life has taught me.

I won't.

***
Where does Daxon go when he's not at school, during school hours?

I walk down my block, keeping my eyes ahead of me as the sun beats down.

Leaving school at 10 am today and every other day has to be for something.

I groan. I think too much about him. I shouldn't want to know what he's doing. I don't want to know anymore than what I have to know to be his bodyguard.

My front yard glistens in the afternoon sky and the driveway stands empty.

Did they come back home and leave again? Are they avoiding me?

I shake my head, turn into the path to my door.

They can be so childish sometimes. Ruth told them what they didn't want to hear and now they don't want to see my face.

That's fine too.

I unlock the door, swinging it open, and entering the home.

My book bag flies over to the beige couch in the living room and bounces as it lands. I'm glad my throw didn't miss.

Turning to the kitchen, I head over to the fridge and open it, pulling myself out a nice cold Pepsi. I close it and a sheet of white catches my eye.

A note stuck on the front of the fridge hangs by a magnet.

They've never left a note for me. They usually just disappear and appear.

I lean in as my eyes squint to read it.

Don't look for us.