LXXXIV ; play with fire

* * *

            WHERE WAS DUMBLEDORE, AND WHAT WAS HE DOING? elara caught sight of the headmaster only twice over the next few weeks. he rarely appeared at meals anymore, and elara was sure hermione was right in thinking that he was leaving the school for days at a time. had dumbledore forgotten the lessons he was supposed to be giving elara and harry? dumbledore had said that the lessons were leading to something to do with the prophecies and although training with anya brought her great comfort, she liked lessons with dumbledore more.

            halfway through october came their first trip of the term to hogsmeade. elara had wondered whether these trips would still be allowed, given the increasingly tight security measures around the school, but was pleased to know that they were going ahead; it was always good to get out of the castle grounds for a few hours. both harry and elara wanted at least a few moments alone, but decided it was best they stuck with ron and hermione.

            the morning of, elara was already up and at it. on top of her normal wear, she dug through and found a flannel of harry's she had snagged. smiling, she pulled it over her shoulders. at breakfast, ron told a highly amusing story about harry's new spell which made him levitate by his ankle.

            ". . . and then there was another flash of light and i landed on the bed again!" ron grinned, helping himself to sausages.

            elara smiled, although wary, into her coffee. hermione had not cracked a smile during this anecdote, and now turned an expression of wintry disapproval upon harry.

            "was this spell, by any chance, another one from that potion book of yours?" she asked.

            harry frowned at her.

            "always jump to the worst conclusion, don't you?"

            "was it?"

            "well . . . yeah, it was, but so what?"

            "so you just decided to try out an unknown, handwritten incantation and see what would happen?"

            "why does it matter if it's handwritten?" said harry.

            "because it's probably not ministry of magic–approved," said hermione. "and also," she added, as harry and ron rolled their eyes, "because i'm starting to think this prince character was a bit dodgy."

            "i might be with hermione on this one," said elara.

            both harry and ron shouted them down at once.