LXXXII ; pluto projector

* * *

            FOR THE REST OF THE WEEK'S POTIONS LESSONS ELARA CONTINUED TO FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS ANYA HAD GIVEN HER FOR POTIONS, ALTHOUGH IT WAS SOMEWHAT DIFFICULT TO REMEMBER. harry followed the half-blood prince's instructions wherever they deviated from libatius borage's, with the result that by their fourth lesson slughorn was raving about harry's abilities, saying that he had rarely taught anyone so talented. neither ron nor hermione was delighted by this. elara was at best indifferent. her only complaint was that harry seemed too attached to the book. harry had offered to share his book with the three of them, ron had more difficulty deciphering the handwriting than harry did, and could not keep asking harry to read aloud or it might look suspicious. elara was to prideful to accept his offer. hermione, meanwhile, was resolutely plowing on with what she called the "official" instructions, but becoming increasingly bad-tempered as they yielded poorer results than the prince's.

            elara wondered vaguely who the half-blood prince had been. she came to the conclusion that they were arrogant. who named themself after royalty?

            "or herself," said hermione irritably, overhearing harry pointing some things out to ron in the common room on saturday evening. "it might have been a girl. i think the handwriting looks more like a girl's than a boy's."

            "the half-blood prince, he was called," harry said. "how many girls have been princes?"

            "girls can be whoever they want to be," said elara, joining hermione's side, "if she wants to be a prince, then she can."

            "it's a boy, i can just feel it," said harry.

            neither elara nor hermione seemed to have no answer to this. hermione merely scowled and twitched her essay on the principles of rematerialization away from ron, who was trying to read it upside down. elara just rolled her eyes and looked away.

            "it's five to eight, we'd better go, lara, we'll be late for dumbledore."

            elara pushed herself up from her spot on the couch.

            "ooooh!" gasped hermione, looking up at once. "good luck! we'll wait up, we want to hear what he teaches you!"

            "hope it goes okay," said ron, and the pair of them watched elara and harry leave through the portrait hole.

            they proceeded through deserted corridors, though they had to step hastily behind a statue when professor trelawney appeared around a corner, muttering to herself as she shuffled a pack of dirty-looking playing cards, reading them as she walked.