Chapter 32

Astrid

"Morning Astrid," the assistant coach greeted me while he reached for my bag.

"Ryan," I offered him a genuine smile before turning and getting on the bus. The bus driver smiled at me as I got on the barely loaded bus. Four guys were already on the bus, seniors and juniors that knew what happened if we were late.

Walking to the middle section where I knew my guys would sit, I took an aisle seat, waiting to see how would take the spot next to me.

I adjusted my travel bag between my feet, the smaller one which held cards and snacks and things like that-not clothes, that bag was under the bus.

"Hey Shortie," Tucker's voice drew my attention. "How's it going?"

"Good," I smiled at the fellow alternate captain.

A rookie stepped up behind him-Brandon or Brayden or something like that- with a sneer resting on his face.

"I'll say," the rookie cut into our conversation. "Me and Parker got to listen to you fucking moaning all night."

Heat rushed to my cheeks and I found myself at a loss for words, desperately looking from the rookie to Tucker. "I- I-"

"Is there a problem here?" Ryder's deep voice asked, he stood behind the rookie, looking from me to Tucker -completely ignoring the rookie.

I glanced to Tucker who had a deadly look in his eyes, it wasn't directed at me though luckily. He mouthed something to me, "I'll handle this." Is what it look like he said before he turned around to face Ryder.

"Hey, cap. Everythings good here, I was just checking on shortie." Tucker played it off smooth, his tall frame towering over the rookie who seemed to be very afraid in Ryder's presence.

Ryder looked from Tucker to the rookie standing in front of him. "Then why the fuck is he in my way?" He asked no one in particular.

"Sorry captain," the rookie didn't even turn around to face Ryder, instead he squeezed by Tucker and disappeared in the back.

Facing Tucker, Ryder went over the game plans that Henrik, Bentley, and he had discussed earlier. "-I also think we should do a team warm-up, that means everybody," Ryder said with a not-so-subtle glance at me.

"I think that's a great idea. Then everyone can go do their own thing before we have to all get ready," Tucker said in agreement.

"I'll go talk to Coach so he can make an announcement," Ryder sighed, seeming not so enthusiastic.

They both went opposite ways, Tucker to the very back of the bus where upperclassmen sat, and Ryder scooted back to the front of the bus where he would wait for Coach.

The rest of my guys finally boarded. The twins took the two seats in front of me, Henrik took the window seat to my left, Bentley took the seat across the aisle and to my right, while Luka sat behind me.

Once Ryder talked to Coach, he came back and sat next to Luka. Coach announced today's line up then discussed the team warm-up thing, apparently he loved that idea.

It felt like forever before the bus started moving, but eventually, we rolled out of the hotel's parking lot and started driving to the sports complex.

Arriving at the rink at one, we had two hours before puck drop and an hour and a half before we had to be on the ice. So after everyone dropped their bags in the locker room, everyone scattered. Some guys went to Luka to get something taped or rolled, while others went out to watch the game that was happening on the ice.