Chapter 14

Astrid

My stomach dropped and nausea hit me as I stared into icy blue eyes. The locker room was in complete silence as the twins sat and watched us quietly.

We seemed to be stuck in a stare-off as his anger grew by the second.

"Hey Ryder," I said meekly.

Finally, he shook out of his daze. He stood up abruptly, his shoulders shaking as he raised a hand and pointed at me.

"You better fucking explain right fucking now before I fu-"

I cut Ryder off. "What Ryder? What are you going to do? Tell Coach? He already knows. Try to get me kicked off the team? Well, guess what? There's a fat chance that will happen." He seemed taken aback that I had actually cut him off and stood up for myself.

Not literally, of course, as I know standing up would take a lot of my strength. Strength that I knew I needed for whatever Ryder was going to do.

"Look." I held Ryder's glare. "I'm sorry I lied to you for three almost four years. But I have my reasons. And they are my reasons." I took a steadying breath. "I understand if you're angry and you have a right, but wait till I heal and then you can take it out on me."

Ryder reeled back as if I slapped him, which was impossible considering I sat on the other side of the locker room.

"You think I would hit you?" Ryder asked. He sounded offended.

"Well, you have in the past." I shrugged.

He, of course, hasn't slapped me off the ice. But he sure as hell doesn't pull back when he checks me into the boards.

"I would neve-" He stopped and took a deep breath. I could've sworn something like hurt clouded his face. "I need to think."

And with that, he left the locker room. Leaving me in the now silent locker room, sandwiched between the still shell-shocked twins.

"Why?" Colten asked. Unlike Ryder, he spoke with genuine curiosity and compassion.

I sighed and looked between Colten and Corey. "My old high school team was less than welcoming to my gender. And they made it their personal mission to make my high school hockey career living hell." I went on to explain the whole situation to the twins. All the while they listened intently.

When I finally finished the locker room fell back into a quiet. That was until Bentley walked in.

"Is everything alright?" Bentley cast a look between the twins until green eyes fell on me.

"Couldn't be better." I sighed as I slumped against the cold concrete wall behind me.

Ignoring the jab of pain, I fell silent as everyone started arriving and dressing for practice. Everyone had questions but the twins, Bentley, and Henrik gladly filled them in, all while I stared at the door waiting for Ryder to come back.

Why had he seemed so hurt by my hesitation? Did he actually care that I wasn't who everyone thought me to be?

Despite my focus on Ryder, it didn't go unnoticed that the others seemed put off by my presence in the locker room. Some of the guys even went into the bathroom to change into their athletic leggings. Great, things are already messed up.

Once I realized Ryder wasn't going to come back until I left, I decided to join Luka in the training room. Who was currently massaging one of the rookie's arms.

"Are you okay?" Luka asked as I entered the medical room.

"Yeah, just figured I'd let all the boys dress in peace. They seem to all be more hesitant around me." I winced as I pulled myself onto a table.