Chapter 20

Ryder

"So you guys just hang here?" I asked the twins as we approached Aiden's house. No... Astrid's...

"Yeah. Luka, Henrik, and Bentley are usually here. We usually sit around and watch hockey." Coors explained. "Then when we don't feel like going home, Colt and I sleep in the guest bedroom while the other three sleep in the living room."

"That fucking explains why Henrik has barely been home," I mutter as we reach the door.

I was surprised when they didn't even bother knocking and just walked in. I was even more surprised when I saw Henrik and Astrid in cooking aprons, standing in the kitchen. Henrik never cooks.

"Hope you all are hungry." Astrid laughed awkwardly as our gazes locked.

"Starving." The twins said at the same time.

"What's on the menu tonight, Love?" Bentley's accent was very noticeable when he called her his pet name for her.

Astrid clapped her hands together after she poured a bunch of noodles into a fancy bowl. "Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo and Garlic Bread." She grinned as moans of satisfaction rang out around the room.

Henrik opened the oven and pulled out the garlic bread. He turned around and set it down on the kitchen island, doing good to avoid eye contact with me.

Fucking Asshole knows I'm dying to grill him and he's fucking avoiding me. I scoffed to myself.

Astrid started serving up plates, passing them out until everyone had one.

Although it didn't go unnoticed when she didn't serve herself.

Luka cleared his throat after taking a bite, "Why aren't you eating?" His blue eyes locked with her emerald green eyes.

"I'm-um-Not hungry." Astrid lied horribly.

Henrik called her out, "Astrid. The truth."

All eyes went to her as she searched for an excuse.

"I'm just not hungry." She shrugged and turned to scrub the counters behind her.

With her back turned to all of us seated at the island, we all exchanged a look.

Her stifled throat clearing caught all of our attention.

"Is it your throat?" Bentley asked her softly.

She turned and nodded. "I'm scared." A haunted look passed over her face. "My coughing fits are unpredictable and happen so suddenly. I'm scared that while I'm eating, I will launch into a coughing fit and choke." Although her fear was justified, we all seemed to agree that we weren't going to allow her to starve herself.

"You can't just avoid eating," Henrik told her.

"I know." She hung her head. Luka sighed and walked around the counter until he stood in front of her.

"Ash." He spoke softly as he rubbed his hands up and down her arms. "We are all here for you. If you want we can blend your food or cut it up into mouse pieces. But not eating is not an option. Your body needs as much nutrition as it can get." He explained to her as we all listened.

Are they together? I wondered idly as I watched their exchange. In fact, now that I think about it, they all seem pretty close. Closer than friends, but not quite lovers. How many of these guys is she stringing along?

And I thought I was cruel...

Luka and she talked some more before he finally managed to convince her to eat.

She ate carefully and under close watch by, well, all of us.

After dinner, which admittingly was amazing, we all gathered in her living room.

While Luka, Henrik, and I watched TV, the twins, Bentley, and Astrid gathered on the floor and played some card games.

Finding a perfect opportunity, I nudged Henrik and pointed outside. He got the idea and we both got up to go outside.

"Where are you two going?" Colt asked us slightly distractedly.

"We need to talk." was all I supplied, gruffly.

Henrik shrugged and followed me out, and as soon as the door shut I turned towards him. But before I could speak he spoke.

"I don't care what your opinion is, we are all content and very happy with whatever fucking relationship we have with her. So before you go and fucking ruin it with your judgmental opinions, I ask that you reconsider your question." Henrik spoke quickly. His stance changed, legs shoulder-width apart and arms crossed. Someone is feeling powerful tonight.

"I was going to ask when you started fucking cooking." I shrugged nonchalantly.

Henrik scoffed. "Fuck you."

"Likewise." I rolled my eyes and clicked my tongue.

"Why are you here Ryder?" Henrik asked, done with the conversation.

"I was invited."

"Enough with the bullshit." Henrik's brown eyes narrowed at me.

"You're in a mood tonight." Seeing that he was close to punching me, I figured enough was enough. "Fine." I sighed. "I was curious."

His eyes narrowed even more.

"This girl lied to me for three and a half years. She is the best damn hockey player I've ever seen and the sass." I shook my head and we both chuckled. "Her mouth always has something to add. I was curious about this girl who made me question if I was gay for three and a half fucking years." I watched as understanding bloomed in Henrik's eyes.

"You like her?" The fucker knew the answer to that... He just wanted to torture me and make me say it.

I looked away and ground my jaw. The cold air nipped at my cheeks as I admitted, "yes." I turned and saw a smile fill my best friend's face.

"Thank fuck that's settled." Henrik laughed. "it all makes so much sense now." He shook his head and looked at his feet as he shifted his weight. "If it makes you feel any better, I too was questioning if I was gay or not."

We shared a look and burst out in laughter. Although we've been best friends since birth, lived together for most of our lives, and even shared a good majority of our lovers, neither of us are gay.

"I suppose we should go back in." I sighed.

"You know," Henrik started and I paused, "everyone else in that room likes her and we've all agreed to share her. If you want we can talk to the others about including you in the Astrid Schwartz Fan club."

"Does Astrid know about her fan club?"

"Not yet." Henrik sighed. "With everything happening with her health we figured we'd let her get better before we pile more on her plate. Because one boyfriend isn't bad enough, we wouldn't want to tack on six." He explained. Which made a lot of sense. "Now let's go inside before my dick falls off." Henrik blew hot air into the cold air for emphasis.

I agreed and we both walked in. Henrik went back to his chair and resumed watching the TV.

Astrid turned around and surprised me when she asked if I wanted to join their card game.

I agreed. Smiling as I found a spot to sit in the tight circle in the middle of the living room.

For some reason surrounded by my teammates, best friend, and the girl I liked, felt right. Like I was finally where I belonged.

~~~~~~
Thanks for reading Chapter 20. I hope you liked this chapter. Feedback makes me happy and comments make my day! Have a wonderful week!
~Until Next Chapter