19. Chunin?

I'm sOrrY foR thE wAiT

The day started out okay. It was nearing summertime, and Ken couldn't help but itch at the constricting mask she wore. It was terribly hot, when Konoha usually curbed toward a more 'sunny' weather.

Ken tuned back into the conversation Sasuke and Naruto were having, then realized with a startle that Kakashi had arrived and been standing there for god knows how long. Blanching, she figured she had zoned out for far longer than she initially thought.

"I have elected you three for the Chunin Exams," Kakashi spoke, having an easy carefree smile despite the bombshell he had dropped on his young genin.

"Ch-Chunin?" Naruto spluttered. He brightened. "Really?" At Kakashi's amused nod, he cheered.

Ken gazed at her teammates thoughtfully. Sasuke held a determined, but pleased smile, while Naruto openly cheered at the prospect of moving up in the ranks. She turned to her sensei. "Do you think we're ready?" Ken mused, ignoring the creeping tendrils of doubt and insecurity that took hold within her.

Kakashi bobbed his head. "Of course I do, or I wouldn't have done so. You three are more than capable." His smile took a somewhat darker turn. "Besides, with the whole Wave shit show, there's nothing you can't do." His last sentiment seemed to be focused on Ken. "You are ready."

The tension in Ken's shoulders washed away, and she was glad Kakashi saw the insecurities she had and tried to help. No matter how much he protested, Kakashi was a good teacher, if not a good friend.

Sasuke eyed Kakashi critically, turning all attention on to him. "I was right." He concluded, smirking slightly. "Ken and Naruto are a bad influence on you, sensei. 'Shit show?' Really?"

Ken snorted as Kakashi failed to look apologetic.

The last Uchiha huffed dramatically. "I thought we were the sensible ones of the team, Kakashi-sensei." He practically whined, eliciting a chuckle and a couple of uncontrollable laughs from a blonde and brunette. "Now I'm all alone." Sasuke sighed.

Ken gushed. "Aw, emo!" She proclaimed, rushing to pat him on the head teasingly. "It's okay, you'll always have a place in our hearts. Besides, you're always welcome to join the Idiot Club!"

"Dumbass Club, really." Naruto quipped. Ken shared a grin with the Uzumaki.

Sasuke managed to resist the urge to roll his eyes, but he couldn't stop the smile that spread across his face.

::

Ken scuffed her foot lightly against the ground, her hands stuffed in her pockets. 'Chunin?' She mused.

"So shut up and get out of my way!"

Ken sighed. She loved Naruto, really, but did he always have to pick fights? She rounded the corner to see Naruto yelling at a foreign shinobi with face paint.

"Naru." She called out. "Please stop picking fights with foreign shinobi. It's not good for Konoha's image."

The blonde growled. "I just wanna know what this prick is doing here!" The Sand shinobi opened his mouth to retaliate, an angry glare set on Naruto.

Ken reaches Naruto's side and gently pushed him away. "Naru, we literally just got briefed that there would be Chunin Exams. These foreign genin are coming to compete. Besides, any foreigner can come to Konoha since it's not an active war time. If he was approved by the gate guards, we don't need to pick a fight."

The Sand shinobi huffed and released his hold on Naruto's collar. "Finally. One with some level of sense."

Ken smiled lazily behind her mask. "I try." She yawned, still not getting a substantial amount of rest at night. Suddenly, her eyes flying wide open, she shoved the boy to the side and caught a stone aimed for his back.