18. Smile

Ken's eyes flew open, only for her to rush to the bathroom and retch out blood. She wheezed, hacking out the final droplets of red.

Miserably, Ken wiped her mouth and sunk to the floor, the scent of blood heavy around her. It was 4:36 AM.

As she trudged to the kitchen to get a glass of water, the images from her dream returned to her. Taking a sip of the liquid, Ken winced and reached for her pills. Her hand crashed into the other empty bottles, and she sighed as she shook her last one. Nearly empty. She swallowed four and crawled back into bed, mulling over her dream.

A clock ticked behind her.

Flowers appeared around her. White lilies. Orchids.

The ticking grew louder. Ahead, a figure dressed in black held orchids tightly. They released them onto the floor, and raised their head.

Naruto Uzumaki.

The clock began to speed up as each chime rung loudly, echoing.

Her time was running up.

::

"Bye guys!" Haku beamed at the two, his hand clasped in Neji's. The Hyuga only nodded, a small smile on his face.

Naruto nudged Ken, who looked up promptly.

"Ken, who's that guy that's always with Haku-san? The one that has eyes like Hinata," he whispered, eyeing the pair as they walked away.

Ken's eyes softened as she watched the Haku ramble to a fond-looking Neji. "That's Haku's boyfriend, Neji. Hinata's cousin." She absolutely adored the couple. Neji was polite and kind, and loved Haku dearly, that much was clear as day. Haku smiled far more and brought out a softer side in Neji. Ken once fought with Ino over who liked them more, much to the couple's amusement.

"W-What?!" Naruto spluttered. "Since when did Haku have a boyfriend?" He tried to get a better look at the two, but they were long gone.

Ken gave a non-committal shrug. "Maybe one and a half weeks? Nearly two, I think."

Naruto chuckled lightly. "Who knew Haku was so charming? But they're really cute."

Ken nodded excitedly, her eyes shining. "I know, right?" She gushed.

Naruto smiled at Ken's fondness, and they settled back into a comfortable silence. Naruto gazed at the menu in his hands. "I was thinking we could have a milkshake!"

His friend grinned. "Yeah! I hear their cakes are really good too, we could share a slice." Naruto beamed brightly in return, and he peered over the menu at the book Ken was reading.

Before they could call over a waiter and order, Ken's eyes widened and she cursed. "Shit! Naru, I am so so sorry, but I promised Kiba we would hang out today, he's probably waiting for me at the park!" She looked at her best friend apologetically, standing up. "I'm so sorry, I'll make it up to you!" Clearly distressed, she ran a hand through the tangled mess that was her hair.

Naruto smiled reassuringly. "It's okay Ken-chan. You made a promise, and you gotta fulfill it. You can go to Kiba, it's fine!"

Ken nodded quickly, and after apologizing to Naruto once more and promising another time they could hang out, rushed out of the cafe, nearly tripping over her feet.

As soon as she was out of sight, Naruto's smile dropped and his eyes dimmed. He sighed, gazing at the forgotten book in Ken's seat. Pocketing the book, Naruto ducked out of the cafe with his head bowed, a tired frown playing at his lips.