I frown as I look down at it. Werewolves are cremated. Too much bad juju.

A quick sniff tells me it's nothing more than a dead animal. Though why it's been set on fire is beyond me.

Shaking my head, I head a bit closer to the edge of the trees. I bow, placing my head on my front paws, allowing Rebecca to slide off.

I shift and redress, grabbing Rebecca's hands in mine as we walk the rest of the way toward the pack house.

"So, now that you're less taped up, how did you like the ride?"

She smiles up at me, grey eyes bright as she just fucking beams. "I loved it. It's almost better than flying!"

She breaks away from me, dashing up the stairs of her house, and I find myself smiling after her. She's not feeling guilty anymore.

Mason is still inside, sitting silently in front of the television that plays nothing but static. His leg bounces with anxiety and he practically bounds off of the couch when he sees us.

"Reese is in the dungeon. Gotta go." He nods at Rebecca and I before rushing outside.

Alone once more, Rebecca looks to me, and waits a beat. "I... Slate locked me down there," she bites her lip, walking until she stands in front of an inconspicuous wooden door.

"Are you okay going back?"

She fidgets in front of the door, almost looking as though she wants to bolt. "I... just, hold my hand. Please?"

Not needing to be told twice, I grab her small hand in my larger one. I run my thumb over the soft skin, allowing her to lead me down into the dungeon.

I'm in her grasp, but only as tightly and as close as she needs me.

Once in the dungeon, I see that it's relatively similar to my own. Cells line the walls, however unlike ours, this one has a special set up on the far end.

Leo sits on his knees, arms pulled to their limit on either side of him, positively seething at Reese who looks every bit the Luna she is, holding a knife in one hand, a baton in the other, and not looking the least bit apologetic as she stands over him.

She's cleaned up, and if you hadn't seen her body, you'd never know she had been dead.

"Rebecca, baby, come. You too Kaius." Reese waves us closer, and as she does, I almost smile as I see what she's done.

A pile of toes and an ear sit in front of Leo.

I know it's probably uncomfortable for Rebecca to look at but right now, knowing that he's suffering, and that the second Leo's wounds heal over that Reese is just going to cut more of him away, brings a sense of contentment to my heart.

He deserves to suffer and so much more.

Rebecca clings to me, tighter this time, wrapping both her arms around one of mine, peering around me to the bloody mess that is her father.

Reese obviously senses her daughter's discomfort and sets about explaining why we're here.

"Tell her what happened when she was fifteen," she pokes at Leo with the baton, tapping him under the chin with it when he refuses to speak.

"I borrowed money I didn't need so some Swedish pricks would kidnap you. Then I paid for you, so you would trust us," he mumbles the confession like a half assed apology, punctuating it with an eye roll.

Reese tsks at his actions, leaning down to slice off his other ear.

Rebecca gasps, holding me tighter, but says nothing.

He cries out in pain, trying to shy away from the blade, but Reese only gives the barest of flinches.

"And after?" She coos, waving Leo's ear in front of him.

He pouts—which is ugly as fuck for an old man to do—tears coating his bloodying face, and turns his head so that he faces the wall. "I made Slate break up with you so that you'd only need us."

Another gasp from Rebecca, this one more disgusted than the first, a switch of technique from Reese and Leo is stabbed in the groin.

I know part of her hate for Leo stems from her... dying, but I'm sure that after years of not being able to have a baby, that her mate having had a child with someone else was not a pleasant thing.

I'd heard of things like that before.

Where werewolf couples were only doomed to be childless when together.

They often mated with humans because they just needed a baby that was their own.

This pitiful fucker probably thought the same.

"And you sent that little ginger bitch after my body because?"

Leo is a snotty mess, and vaguely I hear the shouts of other prisoners as they see the man who was their tormenter at one time or another being the tormented.

"'Cause I knew Rebecca could bring you back," Leo whispers.

Reese nods. "Now. Who wants the honors?"

Quickly she flips the knife around, pointing the handle at Rebecca and I in offering.

I'm more than happy to oblige but Rebecca shakes her head.

"He had you killed. If anyone deserves it, it's you, mom."

Not the answer I expected, but it's probably for the best. I'm not sure Rebecca could deal with killing someone.

Reese nods, seemingly more chill after being dead, and with a quick movement, has the blade buried in her mate's skull.

It hurts her, physically at least. She winces, seeming out of breath, but she shakes it off quickly, that lackluster look that my father always had glinting in her eyes.

Still smiling, she motions for us to head upstairs. We do, freed from our bad guy, and officially, safe.

Holy hell this book was not supposed to be this many chapters.

I think I want to do at least one more chapter from Rebecca's perspective, but if I don't then the next chapter will be an epilogue.

Next chapter on Wednesday, remember to stay safe.♥

😊✌🏽