Leaving

Mia pulled back her dark blonde hair, wincing at the tight pinch of her tugging.

Today was the day she was going back home. Back to that small, little town, she had been missing for eleven years. She was never meant to live in the city, but until now, she was under her mother's thumb, who primed and polished her into the woman of her imagines.

Her chest tightened. She loved her mother, truly, but she never accepted her wild side, a side she sadly only shared with her friends. She craved for space, somewhere to run and explore.

Maybe she can explore the woods when she arrived.

Mia has been waiting for her eighteenth birthday ever since her mother had dragged her to the city. She had gotten her driver's license at the age of sixteen and had scored a job just a few days after, already having gathered some spare cash from little jobs she did throughout the years.

She was ready to leave the 24/7 hustle and bustle of the city and ready to welcome the calm, silent hours of her forever-missed small town.

She looked around her room, her hands on her hips as she surveyed the barren room she had called her own for eleven years. She would miss this, even if slightly.

Sadly, she didnt have any memories to reminisce about.

Her mother never let her friends into the apartment, she never let her go to parties, she never let boys anywhere close to her room.

"Proper ladies do not allow lower beings into their home."

All she cared for was Mia's change.

Mia sighed. Staring towards the door, she was more than ready to exit the suffocating room and head out onto the dirt roads of her hometown.

The only problem was her mother.

Her mother never talked about her hometown. She never talked about her father. Whenever Mia brought up the old home, she would snap and howl her displeasure, throwing herself into a fit and ordering her to never speak of that place again.

"Proper ladies never ask questions."

Mia scoffed. It was times like that when she would wonder how she was her mother. She and her were nothing alike. Because of her fits, Mia never told her mother about her plans of moving back home.

Until today.

Mia huffed. She was going to throw a fit, but nothing she said would ever make her change her mind.

Mia walked from the room, noticing the time. It was nearly time for lunch.

"Proper ladies are never late."

Another scoff. Her years of nagging have finally come to an end. Today, she would have one more lunch with her mother, and then she would be gone.

She stepped into the kitchen, nodding her head in greeting to her mother, who was already at the table.

"Hello, mother." She said politely, taking her place at the only other seat.

Her mother looked up, her heart-shaped face covered in wrinkles, her hair streaking grey, her lips pulled into a tight frown, as tight as the bun on her head.

"You are late dear." She said simply, taking a disapproving sip of her tea.

"I was right on time mother, you were just early." Mia hummed calmly.

Her mother huffed.

"A proper lady is always early, no matter the occasion."

Mia's hand curled into a fist, already her temper flaring. 'A proper lady this', 'A proper lady that'! That is all she thinks about!