The Boy

She continued to stroke the matted fur. His breathing had slowed, and his bloodshot eyes had sleepily closed. Her hand glided down the grey fur. She massaged his head with her small thumb, gazing sadly at the poor beast.

"Poor thing...hasn't had a meal in what looks like months..." She thought, pain stinging her heart.
She looked up at the large fog grey wolf. He was staring at her, surprise painting his amber eyes.

"Don't ask me how I do it I just do." She said, smiling faintly.

Suddenly, the rustling of footsteps slipped from behind her. She froze. Slowly...ever so slowly...she turned her head. The puppy was staring into the woods behind them, his body relaxed, his ears pointed.

"Wh-What is it puppy?" Mia squeaked.

He answered with the wag of his tail and bounded to the side of a tall, slender, beautiful woman.

Her slender form was covered by a tight grey t-shirt and tight blue skinny jeans. Her feet were covered by black high leather boots. Her face was young, yet wise. Her head was covered by silken blonde hair that was pulled into a ponytail, and her light green eyes, the color of the lush green bushes, was brimmed with fear and confusion. She sighed in relief.

"Thank goodness everyone's alright." She said, her voice was that of a gentle deer, graceful, quiet, soothing. Her eyes shot wide when she saw Mia stroking the rogue. "Wh-What happened?!"

"U-Umm...I calmed him." Mia said shyly.

"....goodness..." She said. "I've never seen a human girl calm a rogue."

Mia smiled, taking that as a compliment. Suddenly, she saw the puppy bound off into the woods.

"Puppy where are you going?!" Mia called.

""Puppy?"" The woman asked, confused.

Mia pointed towards where the puppy had bolted.

"Oh. I don't know. He'll be back." The woman said.

Mia nodded.

"May I ask who you are young lady?" The woman asked kindly.

Mia nodded, standing and received a whine from the rogue, sad that she had stopped.

"My name is Mia Forest."

"Well, nice to meet you Mia." The woman said. "My name is Melody Black."

"That's a really pretty name Mrs. Black."

"Oh please, just Melody."

"Oh um...okay..." Mia smiled, happy that at least one adult wouldn't mind if she called them by their first name. Her mother would be upset though.

"Mama??" A small voice spoke from the bushes.

Melody smiled at the bushes.

"Glad you could make it Matthew." She said.

Soon, a young boy, most likely around Mia's age, slipped out of the bushes. Mia inwardly gasped.

His hair was as black as midnight and fluffy, locks of hair folded over locks of hair, sticking out in different directions. His bangs slouched below his eyes. And his eyes....were captivating. His eyes were that of ripe strawberries, and seemed to bore into Mia's sky blue gaze. His perfectly chiseled, rounded face held shy emotions. His small body was covered by a black sweater and shorts. His feet held black flip flops. Mia could tell that even from a distance, he was taller than her.

He finally broke the connection between their gazes and looked at the woman. They stared at each other until suddenly he nodded. The woman and the boy both looked at her.

"Mia...this is my son...Matthew Black."

Mia looked at the boy and smiled warmly.

"Hello Matthew."

He said nothing, but smiled.