Something Different

"Maaaathew!!"

He perked as her voice filled his ears, a smile beaming on his face. Mia, now a year older, bound from the bushes, her hair bouncing around her shoulders as she lunged into a hug. He spun in place, relishing her bubbly laugh and gleeful squeals. He placed her onto the forest floor, holding her shoulders.

"Mia! How are you doing?"

She giggled sweetly, hugging him again.

"I'm good!" She said. She began to tug him, rushing further into the woods. "Let's go let's go! I wanna play with everyone!"

He laughed at her excitement, mindlinking one of the warriors to come and pick her up. Only a few minutes later, a brown and tan wolf bound from the bushes, his tail wagging happily at the sight of Mia. She giggled and threw her arms around his neck, kissing his snout, squealing as he licked her cheek. He crouched, giving her the ability to hop on his back. She hugged his neck as he stood, standing as tall as a large pony.

"I'll see you there Matty!" She called as he bolted.

He blushed at the nickname before beginning to shift, bolting after them soon after. He inwardly smiled, thankful for the miniature growth spurt. Now it won't take as long to get home.

For nearly a year, Matthew and Mia had grown closer, becoming good friends in only a few days. Every day she would come and play in the woods, or in the pack, running and wrestling with the other pups. He never approved of the rough play, but she always did. She was tough for her age. He slipped from some bushes, coming to stop near a group of pups, yipping and barking in play. Mia tackled a tan one, rolling on the ground as they play fought for dominance. He sat, watching her carefully.

"Young Alpha." A voice said behind him.

He turned his head, watching Kia sit beside him, criss crossing his legs. He bowed his head in respect and submission.

"She's grown stronger hasn't she?" He asked, turning to look at Mia get tackled by a dark brown pup.

Matthew tensed as she crashed to the ground. She jumped up and tackled the dark brown pup, growling playfully and yipping. Yes, she would pretend to yip and be like a pup.

'Yes she has.' Matthew mind linked.

"You mustn't be so tense Young Alpha, she is strong. She does not cry easily."

'I don't care. Anyone who hurts her will regret it." Matthew growled, his hackles rising slightly.

"Calm down, she'll be--"

"Ow Ow Ow!!"

Matthew leapt from his spot, bolting towards where Mia sat gently trembling, holding her upper arm in pain. He stood over her, snarling viciously. A blonde and grey pup whimpered, lowering himself onto his stomach, his tail between his legs, his ears on his head. Matthew rose his lip, showing his sharp teeth.

"J-Jacob! It's okay!" Mia's melodious voice rang in his ears as her tiny arms wrapped around his neck.

She named his wolf Jacob last month, saying as how she didn't like strange names. He looked down at her, whining and nuzzling her.

"It's alright, it's just still sensitive and tender." She said, smiling gently.

He whimpered and licked her cheek before bounding into the forest, shifting and dressing before running back.

"Mia!" He yelled, wrapping her tightly in a hug. "I heard you yell! Are you okay?!"

She patted his back.

"I'm alright. One of the pups just got a little too rough."

His eyes hardened. His gaze went to the pup still on his stomach.

"Was it that one?" He growled.

"Uh....no..." She said hesitantly, her eyes widening and glancing around.

"Mia." He warned.

"Matthew, I'm fine, it's just sensitive." She said sternly. "You don't have to get all mean because of it. It's just not healed all the way and I slipped up. It's not the pup's fault." She stepped away from him, kneeling before the small pup, grazing her hand against his head.

The pup sighed and closed his eyes, happy with her accepting touch. Matthew growled and tore her away from the pup, holding her closely as he inhaled her scent, his face buried in her neck. She squirmed and whined.

"Matthew!" She complained, pushing at his chest. Despite being so young, he was surprisingly strong. "Lemme go! You know that tickles!"

He nuzzled further into her neck, making her squeal and squirm in his arms. He smiled, happy that he was the one to make her squeal. She laughed as he continued to nuzzle her neck, tickling her sides. Her knees gave way, and she slumped to the ground, Matthew hovering over her, still tickling her sides. Her bubbly laughter filled his ears to overflowing, a grin stretching his face. Finally, he gave her a break, watching her throw her arm over her eyes, heaving for breath. He chuckled.

Suddenly, his smile fell when he heard a small sniffle from the tiny girl beneath him, and his eyes widened when tiny tears glistened from inside her eyes.

"I-I'm sorry Mia! I-I didn't m-mean to m-make you cry!" He panicked, moving off of her and gathering her in his arms.

"You didn't make me cry Matty!" She vigorously wiped her eyes. "I just got dirt in my eyes!" She smiled, tugging at her hair.

He narrowed his eyes, not believing her obvious fib, she would always tug her hair when she lied. Before he could call out her lie, his mother called from nearby.

"Mia! You're mother called and said it was time to go home!"

Mia's eyes widened and she hid her face in her bangs. She nibbled on her lip. Matthew's eyebrows furrowed.

"What's wrong Mia?"

She shook her head, standing and brushing the dirt from her back.

"Nothin!"

He rose a brow but shrugged it off, grabbing her hand and leading her towards the woods.

"I'll take you home." He said.

"No!"

He looked back at her, shocked. She had never refused when Matthew took her home, she was always ecstatic.

"W-What?" He asked, his voice growing hurt.

She swallowed, sinking her teeth into her tiny lip.

"I-I'll be fine!" She said, bolting into the woods.

"Mia wait!" He ran after her. "That's the wrong way!"