Chapter 20

Owlpaw's entire body trembled as she faced the rogue. Nettle's asleep, and even if she wasn't she wouldn't be able to fight. Could I outrun him? Owlpaw looked over Raptor.

His body was laced with deep, poorly healed wounds that had been delivered by Sheer Mountain. "You're one of those wild cats, right? The ones who don't belong here." He spat, Owlpaw could scent his foul breath from where she stood.

Owlpaw flattened her ears and stepped backwards, her heart pounding. Even in this state, I don't think I could fight him. "What do you want?"

"I want those flea-bitten cats gone, and Sheer Mountain too. I'm sick of her acting so high and mighty on that mountain. I'll kill every single one of you, including those wretched kits!"

"My friend's won't let that happen." Owlpaw tried to sound brave, but it just wasn't working.

"Your friends?" Raptor stepped forward, his jagged claws glinting in the falling sunlight. "What about you? One of my rogues told me about a tiny, fluffy little she-cat would couldn't fight. I wonder if she meant you." Raptor bared his teeth and his eyes glinted dangerously. "What do you think the wild cats would do if I delivered you to them? As a bloody scrap of fur?"

Owlpaw took another step back, Raptor was directly blocking her path towards the cavern. On one side of her was the wall of the mountain, the other led to the river and the forest. She was fast, but she had already done so much running today. Would my body be able to handle it.

"If you did that," Owlpaw's voice trembled, and she couldn't control it. "They would kill you."
"Would they now?" Raptor chuckled and stepped in even closer. "Even if they did, I'd die happily knowing I took one of the those filthy wild cats with me!" Raptor shot forward in the blink of an eye. Owlpaw was shoved to the stone ground and claws ripped into her pelt.

Owlpaw howled in pain and tried her best to fight back. She lashed out with her claws, connecting them with his dark pelt. She tore through his thin fur and drew blood to the surface of his fur, but he seemed largely unaffected by her attacks.

Once again Owlpaw was face to face with death, and this time she wasn't sure she'd get away. Owlpaw knew she had to do something, she couldn't die. Not when Nettle needed her, not when they had a mission to complete! Owlpaw struggled to gather her knowledge of fighting. Even though she wasn't skilled, she could make her attacks count.

Owlpaw flailed her paws until she eventually found Raptor's face. She raked her claws across his eyes. Raptor roared in rage and reared back onto his hind legs. Now's my chance to run! Owlpaw ignored the burning pain of her wounds and scrambled to her paws.

She broke into a sprint towards the cavern. I just have to make it there. Then they'll defend me! "I don't think so!" Raptor yelled after her and gave chase. Owlpaw ran as fast as her legs would carry her, but her escape was short lived.

Raptor leapt onto her back and the two of them tumbled through the field towards the river. Raptor pinned her to the ground and hissed in her face. The scent of crowfood was on his breath, it made Owlpaw almost vomit.

"You can't get away from me, little kitty." Raptor placed his paws on Owlpaw's chest and sank his claws into her body. Owlpaw hissed with pain, her mind began to blur. "If only Sheer Mountain would've thrown you out when she had the chance. Now you're going to die, poor little kitty."

"Raptor!" An angered filled hiss filled the air. "Let her go!" Owlpaw recognized the voice as Nettle. No! She won't be able to fight..

"Well well, if it isn't Nettle." Raptor spat the rogues name, pressing his claws harder into Owlpaw's chest. She hissed in agony. "I'll deal with you when I'm done with this pest."