Chapter 17

Owlpaw trudged up the stone path, dragging her tail behind her. I wonder what my travel mates will say. She knew Sheer Mountain was angry, she just hoped that she wouldn't force them out. I don't think Nettle will turn on me. She seems scared and confused. Owlpaw reached the top of the cavern and stepped inside.

She met the gaze of Earthpelt who seems confused, Owlpaw noticed Seedclaw, Fennelpaw and Berryheart also looking concerned. Owlpaw slowly approached them. As she walked across the stone floor she could feel a sharp gaze burning into her. She looked sheepishly and noticed Sheer Mountain sitting near the kits. Her gaze was filled with irritation, but she didn't look too enraged. It doesn't look like she told anyone.

"Hey, Owlpaw." Earthpelt called to her. "What's wrong with Sheer Mountain? She looked so upset when she came back to camp."

Owlpaw sighed. "Well," She sat down, the four cats turning their attention on her. "We were out walking and I smelled blood. I tracked it to an injured she-cat, she was terribly wounded and I wanted to treat her. However..." Owlpaw stared at her paws for a moment, then looked to Earthpelt. "Do you remember the first rogue you fought when Raptor attacked? You injured her leg and she ran off." Earthpelt nodded. "It's her."

All four warriors instantly tensed. "You're caring for one of the rogues who attacked us?" Fennelpaw looked at Seedclaw for a moment. "Are you sure that's a good idea?"

"She was barely involved in the fight." Owlpaw explained. "She's scared, she was lied to by Raptor and she regrets attacking us. She ran off as soon as she was injured. She's badly injured, if I don't treat her wound she'll die."

"Owlpaw," Seedclaw lifted his head. "I know that you have a knack for this sort of this thing, but have you really thought about this? Cats out here are different than back home." Owlpaw flexed her claws. He's talking to me like I'm a kit!

"Yes, I have thought about it." Owlpaw stood her ground.

"Owlpaw," Earthpelt stood up. "Let's take a walk." Owlpaw dropped her head slightly, but didn't argue, she followed Earthpelt outside the cavern and slowly down the path. "There's something I've been meaning to talk to you about for a while now."

"What is it?" Owlpaw had a biting feeling she knew what it was.

"You're so naturally drawn to the life of a medicine cat," Earthpelt began. "I think it's clear where your heart belongs." Owlpaw dropped her ears. "You've never fit in the role of a warrior," Earthpelt's voice was steady, but Owlpaw couldn't help but feel like Earthpelt was mad at her. "For a while I worried that it was something I was doing."

"Earthpelt you--" Her mentor lifted her tail to silence Owlpaw.

"I was worried I wasn't a good enough mentor for you, and I was really glad when you and I were chosen for this journey. I knew that you would learn so much out here. Then, as you fell into the role of our traveling medicine cat, I knew." She cast her green eyes up towards the sky. "It came so naturally to you, and I think Pebblestep knew it would. I asked her if I needed to learn herbs as well, but she was so confident that you would be able to handle it." Earthpelt looked back down towards Owlpaw, her eyes sparkling. "And you have. You have not only the skills, but the heart of a healer. When we return home, I expect you to follow the path of a medicine cat."

"What about you?" Owlpaw questioned. "I'm your first apprentice and I--"

Earthpelt shook her head. "I would never keep you from your true destiny. There will always be more apprentices I can train, I can wait my turn. You need to follow your heart now."

Owlpaw stared at her paws. "What if Pebblestep tells me no? There's already two medicine cats."

"Who cares?" Earthpelt countered. "I'm pretty sure Pebblestep has already figured this out herself. I don't think Pebblestep and Honeyfrost will keep you from this destiny either."