Prologue

The sky above sparkled with countless, beautiful stars. Not a single cloud covered the deep blue sky. There was a slight breeze beginning to pick up, it was chilly and bit at the ears of two cats travelling. A regal golden-brown tabby she-cat and a smaller, golden and white she-cat. Their pawsteps were the only sounds on the quiet, peaceful night. "Are you okay, Dawnstar?" The golden she-cat questioned. "You seem so concerned."

"I don't know, Honeyfrost." Dawnstar admitted. "I just want an answer, and I hope that StarClan will provide. Though it's not unusual for them to give a completely vague answer." She purred.

"Tell me about it." Honeyfrost let out a small laugh before returning her green focus on the path ahead of them.

Dawnstar walked along the stone path leading up to the Spirit Garden. Her daughter, Honeyfrost walked beside her, the two she-cats cuddling close to fight the biting cold that continued to worsen as they climbed higher.

Dawnstar was grateful that her daughter was a medicine cat, she got to work so close with Honeyfrost and share messages from StarClan. Watching Honeyfrost grow up from a shy kit to a confident, and beautiful medicine cat had been one of the greatest honors of her life. Dawnstar had loved being a leader, but nothing would ever compare to being a mother. She felt the same burning pride for her son, Falconheart. He started out as an arrogant, reckless kit but grew into a noble and powerful warrior.

He had made a mistake by becoming Falconclaw's apprentice, but in the end he found his place and was able to overcome his mistake. Dawnstar knew that Falconheart was happy now, and he would be able to find his true home in SunClan with Sedgefern at his side. As they walked, Dawnstar thought about her past. Losing Willowkit, her parents and facing off against the violent Thornstar. Her past, while painful, had made her into the cat she was today.

As a leader she had a mate who she loved very much, four amazing nieces and nephews, a brother who she shared a close bond with several best friends including Cinderflame, Yarrowtail and Pebblestep. There were many times where Dawnstar felt she was the luckiest cat in the forest. She had made some mistakes during her time as SunClan's leader, but she always did her best to make up for her faults in hopes that SunClan would come out stronger than before.

Something plagued, Dawnstar's sleep however. Dreams kept her tossing and turning, and she had experienced them before Echoheart's battle and the fight in the Dark Forest, but now they were completely different.

Dawnstar thought that after the battle against Echoheart it would put a stop to her confusing dreams once, and once they finally defeated Falconclaw in the Dark Forest, the Clans would find peace. However, the dreams continue. Dawnstar had dreams of a white owl flying away from the mountains, surely the Clans didn't need to leave again? It got to the point where Dawnstar couldn't deal with it alone, she needed guidance.

Honeyfrost and Dawnstar reached the cavern opening, following the dark path into the Spirit Garden. Dawnstar caught the claiming floral scent of the beautiful flowers inside the garden. The two cats stepping inside the Garden, the moonlight illuminating the star-shaped flower in the center. Dawnstar and Honeyfrost settled down in the soft grass, Dawnstar closed her eyes, drifting into a gentle sleep.

Dawnstar opened her eyes, finding herself back in the Spirit Garden and Honeyfrost was still sleeping. Dawnstar realized she was dreaming as she saw her own sleeping figure.

"Good evening, Dawnstar." A familiar voice spoke. Dawnstar turned around to see Flowerstar sitting in front of the Spirit Garden entrance.

"Flowerstar!" Dawnstar exclaimed, jumping towards the former SunClan leader, bouncing like akit. Dawnstar hadn't seen Flowerstar in so long. It was usually Poppyfur, Honeywing or even Feathernose who would visit her.

"It's great to see you again." Flowerstar purred. "And I love watching my Clan thrive."

"SunClan has been doing great," Dawnstar purred. "Except..."

"The death of Firekit was tragic." Flowerstar sighed sadly, then lifted her head. "However, he is happy and safe in the paws of Applespots."

"I hope the others will be alright." Dawnstar sighed. Pebblestep had stayed behind to keep a close eye on the four remaining kits. "I especially worry about Owlkit."

"Don't fear Dawnstar." Flowerstar assured her. "Those kits aren't ready to join StarClan yet."

"Really?" Dawnstar felt a weight lift off her shoulders.

Flowerstar nodded. "However, I don't think you came here to talk about kits."

Dawnstar shook her head. "I can't stop these confusing dreams. They're happening every night now. What do they mean?"

"When the Clans left the old territories they were led by a white owl."

"Do the Clans need to leave again?" Dawnstar asked, fearing the answer.

"No." Flowerstar shook her head. "However, something lies past the mountains that even we in StarClan cannot see." Flowerstar closed her eyes. "It's up to each Clan to send two cats from their Clans to follow this owl and discover what lies beyond the mountains."