Chapter 15

Owlpaw gave Leafdawn's wound a gentle sniff, the scent was slightly sour and she could feel heat rising from the area. It's getting infected. Owlpaw thought, anxiety creeping up her spine. "Does it hurt?" She questioned the AshClan she-cat.

Leafdawn nodded. "It's constantly throbbing unless I have poppy seeds. Last night it woke me up and I had to find more to take." Owlpaw glanced towards the small herb store she had gathered. There were only a few poppy seeds left, she had to stop Leafdawn's infection before it got worse. Marigold was running low as well, and now that there was an infection, Owlpaw would need a new herb. An herb called horsetail, but she wasn't sure where to find it. Pebblestep had shown her horsetail before leaving, she just needed to find some.

Owlpaw gave Leafdawn the rest of the poppy seeds and changed the dressing on her wound. "Get some rest." She instructed the she-cat.

"Thank you Owlpaw." Leafdawn said, curling back up in her nest. "I think you missed your calling. You'd make a great medicine cat."

Owlpaw twitched her nose. I know I did. She padded out of the den and approached Earthpelt who conversed with Berryheart. Both she-cats looked towards Owlpaw as she approached. "How's Leafdawn doing?"

"He wound is starting to become infected. I need more marigold, poppy seeds and horsetail."

"That's not good." Earthpelt rose to her paws.

"We can go fetch some." Berryheart suggested, then raised her voice. "Leopardpaw!" She called to her apprentice who was entertaining the kits. Leopardpaw quickly trotted over to the group of she-cats.

"What's up, Berryheart?" Leopardpaw questioned, waving her tail.

"Owlpaw needs some herbs for Leafdawn, we're going to go get her some."

"I can come with." Owlpaw chimed in as she realized they were talking about going without her.

Earthpelt turned her attention to Owlpaw. "It's best if you stay here, Owlpaw." Owlpaw flattened her ears. "We don't know where those rouges re hiding and you don't have the best defensive skills. Plus, we need you to watch over Leafdawn."

Nothing will happen to her. Owlpaw thought, twitching her tail. Her leg isn't going to suddenly fall off, I don't think it's incredibly infected. It was clear that Earthpelt's mind had been made up, and Owlpaw knew she was right. If Raptor attacks again I'll just be a hinderance. Owlpaw sighed. "Alright, I'll keep an eye on her."

"What herbs do you need?" Leopardpaw questioned.

"Marigold, poppy seeds and horsetail." Owlpaw explained. "Horsetail is tall and and bristlelly . The best place to find it is probably near the river."

"We'll bring back plenty then!" Leopardpaw promised and Owlpaw watched helplessly as the three cats left the cavern. Owlpaw stared at her paws. Medicine cats are at least allowed to gather their own herbs. Owlpaw knew that Earthpelt was only trying to protect her, and now that there was a guaranteed danger outside the cavern, a cat who couldn't fight wouldn't be able to do anything.

"Did I hear you right?" Owlpaw heard the voice of Slatepaw, she looked to her side. "Is Leafdawn's wound infected?" For some reason, Slatepaw didn't sound angry. He looked worried, even though he was clearly trying to hide it.

"It's starting to become that way." Owlpaw replied. "Earthpelt, Berryheart and Leopardpaw just left to get some herbs that will probably help her."

Slatepaw flicked his tail. Owlpaw braced herself for a snide remark from him. "Just take care of her, okay? She's too strong of a warrior to be taken down by some disgusting rogue." Owlpaw stared in shock as Slatepaw walked away over to Seedclaw, probably looking to go hunting.