Chapter 14

Owlpaw stared at the sky, watching the small, wispy clouds roll over head. She longed for some kind of guidance on what to do. She had been given the task of recruiting Sheer Mountain to lead a brand new Clan. To give up her whole life and venture to the Clans' home. A cat who was enraged at the mention of StarClan was going to be the one to receive nine lives and lead a Clan. Plus we have to find a Clan to follow her.

Do we find rogues? Loners? Kittypets? What about a medicine cat? Mosscloud never mentioned a medicine cat. Owlpaw's mind raced with countless questions, doubts about the future and the task they had been given. How am I supposed to do this?

"You doing alright?" Owlpaw jumped slightly as she heard Earthpelt speak beside her. Earthpelt seemed alarmed by her sudden movement. "Sorry, didn't mean to scare you."

"It's fine." Owlpaw mewed, smoothing down the fur on her chest. "I'm just struggling to get a grasp on our mission. We finally have our task and I've never felt more lost." She sighed, staring at her gray paws. "W have to find a whole Clan of cats...a medicine cat...teach them the warrior code--"

"Owlpaw." Earthpelt cut her off, draping her tail across Owlpaw's shoulder. "Those are tasks for another day, and they can't be done unless we get Sheer Mountain to agree. You just focus on her, encourage her to open her mind to the stars, become her friend and then she will be more willing to follow us."

"I just don't know if I can do this." Owlpaw admitted. "Sometimes I feel like I can't do anything, I can't hunt or fight, so how can I create an entire Clan?"

A shadow of concern cross Earthpelt's green eyes. "Owlpaw, Dawnstar chose you for this mission for a reason. Many cats doubted you, including yourself but your place on this mission is clear. It was an owl who guided us here and it's going to be an owl who guides us, and this new Clan, back home."

Owlpaw looked up at her mentor, she felt warmed by Earthpelt's words. I've been such a useless apprentice, and Earthpelt has never lost faith in me. For a moment, Owlpaw thought about home. She thought about her parents, and her siblings. Briarrose didn't believe in her, she doubted her. She thinks I'm too weak. That I need to be protected. When Dawnstar chose her, she could see the doubt in Blossompaw and Oakpaw's eyes as well. They don't want anything to happen me, but they should at least believe in me.

Then there was Yarrowtail and Rushpaw, the two who truly believe in her. They must be worried about me too, but at least they support me. They believe in me. If they can, surely I can too.

Owlpaw took a deep, calming breath. "Thank you, Earthpelt." Owlpaw mewed. "You really helped me feel better."

"Glad I could help." Earthpelt purred and rose to her paws. "Now, I planned on going hunting with with Seedclaw, Leafdawn and Slatepaw. Good luck with Sheer Mountain." Earthpelt walked away and met up with her hunting party and Owlpaw took another deep breath. She hadn't seen Sheer Mountain yet today, she wondered where the loner was.

After waiting for several moments, Owlpaw saw Sheer Mountain enter the cavern. Her golden eyes settled on Owlpaw and she started heading towards the SunClan apprentice. Owlpaw noticed she was carrying something in her mouth. As Sheer Mountain grew closer, Owlpaw realized that it was dock.

Sheer Mountain set the leaves down in front of Owlpaw's feet. "I wanted to apologize for how I acted yesterday." She bowed her head, her voice low. "My mother is a sensitive subject for me. I don't think that your or your friends are crazy. You're allowed to believe what you want."

Owlpaw shook her head. "You don't need to apologize, I pushed the conversation too far."

Sheer Mountain shrugged and sat down besides Owlpaw. "Still," She glanced towards the sky. "I have been interested in exactly how Clan life works. It seems so strange."