Chapter 2

"Breathe slowly." Pebblestep instructed, her ear pressed against Owlkit's chest while Honeyfrost had her paw pushed against her spine. Owlkit's followed the medicine cat's instruction. She took deep, slow breaths. The usual rattle in her chest was there, but otherwise she felt just fine.

"Your breathing is a bit rough, but not any worse than usual." Pebblestep explained as she took a step back. She turned to her herb store and grabbed a bundle of raspberry leaves and tansy. Owlkit didn't need instruction, she had been taking this combination of herbs since the moment she could eat solid food.

She swallowed the herbs quickly, not even noticing the bitter taste. "So, am I fit to become an apprentice?" She struggled to keep her voice steady, scared to give Pebblestep any reason to hold her back from becoming an apprentice with her siblings.

Pebblestep let out a sigh, which scared Owlkit for a long moment but the medicine cat eventually nodded. "Yes, but your visits will continue, and I want you to take your training easy. Stop if you feel any bad chest pains or you feel dizzy."

Owlkit barely listened, the thought of becoming an apprentice made her mind race. Her and her siblings had been dreaming of this day for six long moons. "Thank you, Pebblesep!" Owlkit jumped around excitedly as both Honeyfrost and Pebblestep watched in amusement. She hated the fact that while her siblings were preparing for the ceremony with Briarrose and Yarrowtail, she was getting inspected by the medicine cats, but as she grew stronger she wouldn't have to worry about it anymore. From this day forward, I'll get stronger! I'll prove everyone that I can be a warrior too!

Owlkit ran out of the medicine cat and towards the nursery. Inside Briarrose was fussing over Oakkit's fur. He sat hunched over in annoyance while Rushkit and Blossomkit smoothed down their own pelts. Blossomkit was the first to spot Owlkit and jumped to her paws. "Owlkit!" She ran up to her sister eagerly. "What did they say?"

"Pebblestep told me that I'm good to become an apprentice." Owlkit held her head high, ignoring the self doubt in her mind. She was determined that she could be just as good as her littermates.

"Can I be done now?" Oakkit complained, finally breaking free of Brriarose's grasp. He gleefully faced his littermates, holding his head high. At this angle Owlkit could see Oakkit's one, extra long fang.

"Keep your fur neat!" Briarrose instructed sternly, but her eyes were soft and loving.

"Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey gather beneath the SunStone for a Clan meeting!" From within the nursery, Dawnstar's call could be heard from the center of camp. The leader's voice sent chills throughout Owlkit's paws. It's time!

"We're gonna be late!" Oakkit exclaimed with alarm and sprinted out of the nursery. Owlkit, Rushkit and Blossomkit quickly followed their brother and into the camp. The Clan was starting to gather around the stone with Dawnstar at the top and Cinderflame sitting at the base. The deputy of SunClan looked fierce and brave, with burning amber eyes. She's so cool!

Yarrowtail was sat beside Lionclaw, the golden tom was huge with visible muscles. Yarrowtail's ear tips were just above Lionclaw's shoulders. My father is small like me. Owlkit thought proudly. Her father never looked at her with pity in his eyes, only love and pride. He's just like me.

Oakkit led the way through the crowd of SunClan cats, holding his head high. At six moons old, Oakkit was large and starting to lose his kit fluff. Rushkit and Blossomkit weren't far behind in size, but Owlkit was so small and fluffy compared to them. I'm going to have to work so much harder than them. Owlkit thought, but didn't allow herself to be discouraged. But I know I can do it.

Oakkit, Owlkit, Blossomkit and Rushkit all sat in the center of the crowd, facing Dawnstar who looked down at the kits with sparkling green eyes. "I've called this meeting," Dawnstar began. "Because we have four kits who have reached the age of six moons and are ready to become apprentices." Dawnstar's eyes burned with pride. Out of the corner of her eyes, Owlkit could see Yarrowtail and Briarrose nearly bursting with excitement.

"These kits may not have been expected, but I think I speak for the whole Clan when I say we couldn't be happier that they are a part of our Clan." At Dawnstar's words, the Clan let out a small cheer. Owlkit licked her chest bashfully as the entire Clan rested their eyes on her and her siblings. She tried to shrink down, but stopped herself. No! Owlkit sat up straight, puffing out of her chest. I will not hide.

"By naming apprentices, we show that SunClan will remain strong for many moons to come." Dawnstar held her head high, her voice spreading throughout the trees. "Oakkit, from this day forward until you have earned your warrior name you will be known as Oakpaw." Oakpaw's eyes burned intensely. "Burnclaw, you are a skilledl and competent warrior, I know you will teach Oakpaw everything he needs."

Burnclaw stepped out of the crowd and and approached Oakpaw, touching his nose to the apprentice's Owlkit watched her eager brother march off with his new mentor, now watching his siblings. "Rushkit," Dawnstar continued. "From this day forward, until you have earned your warrior name you will be known as Rushpaw. Your mentor will be Hollystorm, a cat that has proven to be strong and intelligent."

Rushpaw and Hollystorm touched muzzles and returned to the crowd, leaving only Blossomkit and Owlkit. Owlkit's eyes scanned the Clan, wondering who her own mentor would be.

"Blossomkit, from this day forward until you have earned your warrior name you will be known as Blossompaw. Your mentor will be Mudfall, as stubborn as he may be, I trust Mudfall to teach you his wonderful skills as warrior." Mudfall and Blossompaw touched noses and suddenly Owlkit was the only left, all eyes were on her but she forced herself to sit tall and proud.

"Owlkit," Owlkit took a deep breath. It was time. "From this day forward until you have earned your warrior name you will be known as Owlpaw." Owlpaaw took another breath, this one much shakier. "Your mentor will be Earthpelt. She's strong-will, energetic and talented. I know she will be a perfect mentor to you."

Earthpelt stepped out of the crowd and faced Owlpaw with eager green eyes. Owlpaw was please with her new mentor. Earthpelt was strong, brave and confident. Owlpaw knew she could learn so much from the she-cat. Earthpelt stepped forward and touched her nose to Owlpaw's. After a moment, she stepped back and watched each other proudly. "Oakpaw! Rushpaw! Blossompaw! Owlpaw!" The Clan cheered their brand new apprentices, Owlpaw could feel the cheers breathing life into her. Today was the first day of her brand new life as a SunClan apprentice. She couldn't wait to see what adventures would await her.