Epilogue

Alexander arrived at Washington's house for the annual Christmas party. He hadn't been to a party in a while, since his daughter was born in last November, just after John's letter. His wife was in pain for a while so Alexander took care of them both for a while.

He walked in the door, closing it gently. He talked to a couple people before he saw George and Lafayette. "Hey, George, Laf." He said, shaking both of their hands.

"Hello, Alexander." George said, shaking his hand. "I'm glad you decided to come. It's been over a year since your last party." He said. Alexander nodded. "You know how it is with a baby. I can't believe she's already one. They grow up fast." He said before looking at Lafayette.

"How are you, Lafayette?" He asked. Lafayette shrugged. "I'm alright." He said. Alexander nodded. "How's John? Have you spoken to him? I haven't been able to since last October..." he mumbled.

Lafayette seemed to tense at the question. He whispered something in George's ear before George nodded. Lafayette then took Alexander's hand and lead him to a room.

Alexander was confused, but complied. Once in the room, Lafayette let go and shut the door, sighing.

"After John left," Lafayette started, looking upset. "He got involved with some bad people. He was abusing drugs and alcohol." He said, frowning and sitting next to Alexander on the bed.

"We still talked maybe once every couple months but it wasn't the same. He wasn't John. It was like John was taken over by this completely new mindset." He said, wiping his eyes a bit as he started to cry.

"Merde..." Lafayette mumbled, taking a moment to calm down before confusing. "Well, in August, he had gotten in some trouble with some people. I was his emergency contact so I got a call at two in the morning telling me he was in the hospital with a shot wound." He sniffled.

Alexander started to tear up, getting what was about to come.

"I stayed with him and he was awake for about half an hour before sleeping again and passing away." Lafayette said, letting the tears just fall now. "He, uh, he told me he loved me for the first time in years. He said he missed you. He was ready to let go. He was excited to see Francis again." He sobbed.

Alexander nodded, letting himself cry more. "I wish I could've said goodbye..." he whispered.

Lafayette nodded and hugged Alexander gently. "I know, ami..." he mumbled. "He really cared about you. You brought out a side of him I didn't see for a very long time before. You were good. Thank you for making him smile brightly. Thank you for making him happy when you could." Lafayette said, meaning it.

"Where is he buried?" Alexander asked, looking at Lafayette. "South Carolina... he wanted to be buried next to his mother..." Lafayette explained.

Hamilton nodded, looking down. He would've gone to visit him that night but he couldn't. "Thank you for telling me." He said, wiping his eyes.

Lafayette nodded. "John believed that the afterlife allows spirits to send signs to the living. Maybe you'll try talking to John that way. It's just, it's just a nice gesture, you know?" He sobbed.

Alexander nodded a bit. "I will. I think it's nice..." he whispered. "Are you alright, Alexandre?" Lafayette asked, worried about him.

Alexander shook his head. "No but I will be. He's in a better place. I hope he's happy." He said. Lafayette nodded. "I'm sure he is..."

Some stories don't have a happy ending. Not everything ends up perfect and what you would expect.

The story of Alexander and John was a tragedy. It was much like how one would describe John himself: a beautiful mess.

Expecting the unexpected is helpful in life. John's story of life and death was one. You have to plan for what could happen, not just what you want to happen.

Unlike John, though, you have to realize that life isn't just bad. Bad pasta doesn't mean a bad future. You can't expect life to give you the same pattern. It works in mysterious ways and you can't expect things to only go wrong. There is always some good, even if you have to search for it.

Focus on the good. Focus on what could go right, not wrong.

——————

Obviously, this book won't have a sequel but I really loved it and I know many of you did too !!

I do have another book similar to this one (some of the same themes but a different story) coming out on Wednesday. You should definitely read it !!

Thank you for reading this book, it's one of my favorites I've written, including the deleted ones form my old account. I hope you all enjoyed <3