Sixteen

John's eyes widened at Alexander's words, immediately sitting up. "What did you just say?" He asked, freaking out a bit but trying to hide his fear the best he could.

Alexander sat up as well. "I-I said I love you." He admitted. "I've just gotten so close to you these past few months and John, honestly, I've fallen in love with you." He said, wanting to tell him.

John wanted to scream, he wanted to cry. "You've got to go..." he said, looking at the blanket intensely.

Alexander furrowed his eyebrows. "I'm sorry- I just thought you felt the same way." He said, putting an arm around John. "If you don't feel the same way, it's fine but-" he started before John cut him off.

"Alexander- you've got to get out of here. Just listen to me." John said, his breathing hitched. Alexander nodded slowly and removed his arm, moving out of the bed and picking his clothes off the ground. He kissed John's cheek gently before he went in the main room to change. "Call me?" He asked.

John nodded, even if he knew he wouldn't. Alexander gave a small smile and began to leave before John grabbed his hand. "Be careful." He said.

Alex nodded slowly before John let go. He went and got dressed before leaving the house.

John pulled his hair after Alexander left. His breathing was heavy and he was shaking like crazy. He grabbed his phone, calling his bosses number.

"Hey, uhm, Ms. Curtis." John said unto the phone when she answered.

"Hello, Mr. Laurens. And happy birthday." Martha Curtis said. John nodded. "Thank you but I called because I have to resign my position. Immediately." He said, looking up at his ceiling so he wouldn't cry.

Martha immediately got worried. "Is everything okay?" She asked, hoping he wouldn't really resign. He had been an amazing addition. Even the other teachers loved John.

"Oh-uh-" John said, trying to quickly think of a lie. "My fathers sick so I've got to go back to South Carolina." He lied. He knew he couldn't tell her 'oh my love is bad and I fell in love with a kids parent whose married.'

Martha frowned. "I'm sorry, Mr. Laurens. The janitors will be there tomorrow if you'd like to get your things. It's sad to see you gone and if you ever come back, we will surely find a spot for you." She said.

John nodded, wiping his eyes. "Thank you, Ms. Curtis. I've got to go now. Goodbye." He said, just knowing he was about to break into a sob.

"No problem. Goodbye, Mr. Laurens." Martha said before hanging up. John laid his phone down and hugged his knees, crying into them.

He didn't cry for long, knowing he had to start packing his things and talk to Lafayette. He got up and grabbed some of the suit cases he still had from when him and Lafayette moved into the apartment. After getting all of his clothes and several momentums he wanted to keep, he sat at his desk and began to write a letter for Alexander explaining everything. He had kept a lot from him and was very closed off, besides Martha's death. The only reason he even told him that was because oof his scars.

When he finished, several tear marks on it before he folded the letter and put it into a nice envelope. He would drop it off the next day when he knew Alex was getting Philip from his mom.

John sobbed as he looked at the book Alexander had gotten him for his birthday. He put it in a suit case before grabbing his phone and call Lafayette.

"Bonjour, birthday boy." Lafayette answered with a hum. John could hear his smile through the phone.

"I-uhm- I need you to come home." John said through the phone, trying to calm his tears.

"Alright, Ami. Is everything alright?" Lafayette asked, getting out of George's bed and putting his clothes on.

John shook his head and took a breath. "No. Uhm, please just hurry." He said, wiping his eyes. "But be careful." He said.

Lafayette nodded. "Oui. I'll be there soon. Stay calm, John." He said.

"Okay..." John mumbled before hanging up the phone. He moved to the couch, still shaking. He was scared and dreaded what he had to do.

"Please let this be the right thing, Francis... please protect me..." John whispered.

Lafayette came in soon and saw John, he shut the door, locking it, before he rushed to John, hugging him.

"Hey, I've got you, Jack." The French man said, holding the shaking man.

"He told me he loved me. I can't stay here. I've got to leave. I-I can't get him hurt and I can't hurt you." John sobbed, looking at his friend.

Lafayette shook his head. "John-you aren't going to hurt anyone by loving them. I promise you." He said.

John shook his head. "No! It's happened every god damn time! I-I can't allow you to get hurt over me." He sniffled. "So, I packed my things. I resigned from my job. I'm going to move out and block Alexander and George. I only won't block you incase of an emergency. I just- I care enough about you to stay away because if I stay, you could die and I don't want that." He cried.

Lafayette started to tear up. "Please, John. Please stay. You're my favorite person and I just, I don't want you to leave me." He said, tears falling from his eyes.

"I can't stay. I can't!" John said, moving away from Lafayette and pulling his hair. "Please, please don't stop me. It'll just hurt more..." he whispered.

Lafayette nodded slowly, more tears falling from his eyes. He knew John wouldn't stay. He knew John felt he had to go. "I'm going to miss you, ami. I'm going to miss you so very much." He said, chocking a bit on his own tears.

John nodded, hugging Lafayette extremely tight now. "I'm going to miss you too. You've been my best friend for a while. Thank you for everything..." he said, crying into his friends shoulder.

"You've done so much for me, John. I-I'm so sad to see you go." Lafayette said, hugging John just as tight.

They fell asleep right there, holding each other and crying.

In the morning, Lafayette made John breakfast. He helped him being some bags to his car, some crying involved. They went up with John so he could grab his last bag.

Lafayette held his best friend close. "I'll miss you more than anything..." he said, still crying. John nodded. "I will too." He said gently.

He pulled away and looked into Lafayette's eyes. "Let George treat you right. If he doesn't, call me. But don't make a habit of it. I don't want to get you hurt but if he does, I'll come and I'll kill him." He said.

Lafayette nodded. "And call me if you absolutely need me. I don't want you hurt either." He said. John nodded a bit. He gently pecked Lafayette's lips, just as a goodbye.

"Have a good life, Lafayette." John said, grabbing his bag and walking out of the door.

Lafayette wiped his eyes and nodded.

"You too, Ami... you too."