Twelve

Alexander fixed himself after John left. He sighed a bit, running his hands in his hair. He knew he wanted to sleep with John, he just wished he could do it without hurting his marriage.

Alex loved Eliza. He did so very much. But for some reason, he felt attracted to John in a way he wasn't to Eliza. It made him feel bad, but it was the truth.

He stood up, grabbing his keys and going to the car. He drove the way upstate to where Eliza and Philip were. He hummed to the radio as he did, tapping the steering wheel. He eventually arrived and parked, coming in the door and to Eliza's room, where she was reading to their son.

"Hey, babe. Hey, Pip." Alex said, sitting next to them on the bed. "How was your weekend?" He asked.

"It was awesome! Aunt Peggy taught me to bake cookies and Mommy loved them! Then we played Guess Who and mommy wasn't very good. She kept guessing the wrong people and it was funny." Philip giggled, playing with his feet.

Alex smiled and kissed Eliza's head. "I'm sure mommy will get better. And it sounds like you had a good weekend. I hope you saved me some cookies." He hummed.

Philip shook his head, giggling more. "Mommy and Aunt Peggy are them all!" He said, moving his hands to prove his point.

Alexander went and tickled Philip, causing him to roll and be a mess beside Eliza. Alex eventually stopped, him laughing too. "Go get your things, sweet boy." He said, picking Philip up and setting him on the ground. He ran off.

"And how are you, my angel?" Alex asked Eliza now that they were alone. Eliza shrugged, lifting her shirt and rubbing her belly.

"It hurts sometimes but I'll get through it. It will all be better when this little munchkin enters the world." Eliza said, smiling happily at her belly.

Alexander gave a smile and nodded, kissing her stomach a couple times. "I can't wait for her." He whispered.

"Her?" Eliza asked, a smile still remaining on her face. They chose for the babies gender to be a surprise so when Alexander said 'her', it was a surprise.

Alex shrugged a bit, rubbing her belly for her. "Just a hunch. I really want a little girl." He said.

Eliza nodded a bit. She knew Alex wanted a girl and Eliza did too. "Yeah, me too. But I'll love them either way." She smiled. Alexander nodded in agreement.

Eliza sighed after a moment. "I want to go home so bad. I miss seeing you everyday." She frowned, cupping Alexander's cheek with her hand.

Alexander leaned into her touch. "I know. I'm ready for you to come home too. But at least this way, we are keeping you and they baby safe." He told her.

Eliza nodded, pulling her hand away. "So how was the party?" She asked. Alex smiled. "It was fun. Uh, Philip's teacher was there, John Laurens." He said.

Eliza looked a bit surprised. "Oh, really? He knows Washington?" She asked, not expecting it, but she also knew it's a small world.

"Oh, yeah." Alex chuckled a bit. "No, his best friend is dating Washington so he was invited." He told. "We played pool. He's actually a really cool guy. I could grab a beer with him." He shrugged, feeling a small tang of guilt but ignored it.

Eliza nodded. "That's cool." She hummed. Alexander nodded and went to reply before Phillip ran in with a backpack on his back.

"Okay, Daddy! I'm packed!" He said, going into Alexander's arms. "Alright, sweet boy." He hummed. "Give mommy a hug and kiss." He told him. Philip nodded and left Alexander arms. He went to Eliza and hugged her.

Eliza hugged her little boy back. "I'm gonna miss you, baby." She said, hugging him tight. "I'll miss you you too!" He said, giggling.

Eliza smiled happily. "I love you." She said, putting kisses all over his face. Philip giggled. "Stop it, mommy!" He said, laughing as he tried to pull away.

Eliza eventually let him go, laughing. "I love you, sweet boy." She hummed, ruffling his hair. "I love you too!" Philip said. "Alright, Pip. Go say goodbye to Aunt Peggy. I'll be there in a second." Alexander said.

Philip nodded and rushed out to door. "Alright, baby. I've gotta go. I've gotta cook some dinner tonight." He said, taking her hand for a moment.

Eliza raised an eyebrow. "Since when do you cook?" She asked. Alexander had never cooked a dinner before at home, and if he did, it would be burnt.

Alexander laughed a bit. "I've gotten some help. Mr. Laurens sent me some recipes because he found out that Philip and I have been having take out." He said.

Eliza nodded a bit. "Well, that was sweet of him. I'm just glad everything's going good at home. I was a little worried when I first left but I'm glad there isn't anything to worry about." She hummed.

Alex nodded. "It was rough at first but it's getting better. I think I'll take Pip to the Circus on Friday. He was acting up at first but he's done good this week so he deserves a reward." He hummed.

Eliza nodded in return. "Send me lots of pictures!" She told him. Alexander chuckled. "I will, I will. Now I've got to go before the little monster gets annoyed." He said, hugging Eliza for a moment. "God, I love you..." he said, kissing her head.

Eliza smiled and lifted her head, kissing Alex softly. "I love you too." She hummed.

Alex stayed where he was for a moment before leaving with Philip and going back home.

He sighed, it wasn't happy nor sad.

It was content.