29

Guy | Girl

He dropped into detention today with a brilliant smile, like a kid with a bundle of unopened Christmas presents in front of him.

"It's your birthday tomorrow. What are you going to wish for?"

"I don't know." She said simply, biting her lip. "Tomorrow's also our last day in detention."

"Yeah." He whistled. "A month passed by fast, didn't it?"

"It did."

Time stilled for a few minutes. Until he noticed she looked dejected today, like she had lost a fight in her.

"You okay?" He asked. "No feminist mantra for me today?"

"What's the point?"

"Hey," He tilted her chin up gently. "Where's the girl I know? The one who gave me shit for calling you a feminazi?"

"Sometimes, I just think, what's the point of any of this? No one ever listens to me. No one cares about what I have to say. My sister won't talk to me about what happened to her. My friends tell me I'm too 'preachy'. Someone called me a 'Karen' the other day." 

She made a face. "Should I be insulted by the fact that I care about feminism?"

"You're wrong."

"Huh?"

He shook his head. "You said no one ever listens to you. But you're wrong."

He looked her in the eye, and she was reminded once again of the strange bond between them, that kept pulling them together. "I listen to you."

"That's not enough." She resigned. "What's worse is that people think I'm arguing over nothing. Feminism has been reduced to nothing."

He wracked his brain for things to say, and he remembered something she had told him, her voice high and her eyes shining with passion. He'd always admired how she always stood up for what she believed in, she had never changed herself to conform to the norm.

"Even if it's only one person, they can still cause a ripple. You don't have to be Greta Thunberg or Michelle Obama to make an impact."

"What if this is the best we can do? What happens if we finally reach the top of the glass ceiling and find out we can't break through it?"

"You told me once things won't get better if a rapist is put into prison for more than a few months, or if Microsoft hires more women all of a sudden. Things will only get better if we make it better."

"But tell me," She reached out for his arm. "How can we possibly solve an issue that so many people don't believe exist?"