23

Guy | Girl

He walked into detention with a jar of cookies. He gave a few to Mr. J, who looked like he was fighting a tough battle between accepting food from a high schooler's grimy fingers and his growling stomach.

Then he sat down and pushed the jar towards her.

"My mom insisted. She baked these right after I told her we got stuck into detention together. She's always liked you."

She reached over greedily. The cookies were perfect, per usual. Huge melted chocolate chunks. Chewy in the middle, crispy on the outside.

"This is delicious." She nearly moaned. "I knew there was a reason I liked your mom more than you."

He smirked, "Sure you do."

Now licking the chocolate off her fingers in a very unladylike manner, she said, "I hope it wasn't too much trouble. There's like 30 in that jar." 

"Don't worry. She was baking a batch for one of her office's birthdays anyways."

She frowned. "I remember how your mom used to do that. You know it sucks being the office maid."

"What?" He growled. "What did you just call her? My mom's probably making partner next year. And did you just say maid?"

"Calm your tits," She was still chewing nonchalantly, sinking her teeth into her third cookie. "I'm not calling your mom a maid. It's a slang term for office sexism. It means women, even those like your mother, who are dedicated and smart employees, they get delegated a lot of extra work that's not in their job description."

"What are you saying?" He crossed his arm, clearly not seeing it.

"Think about it. Women are always the ones to fetch a coffee, help out a colleague, pass around a birthday card, bake a birthday snack, take notes, order food, organize an event....do I need to go one?" 

She looked at him straight in the eye. "Doesn't your mother always do those things in the office despite being one of the highest-ranked employees?" She gave a little shrug. "I know my mom does."

"She likes it though. She loves to bake for the office and she doesn't mind ordering or bringing food from time to time."

"Yeah, maybe. But even if a woman doesn't, she can't really say no. If a guy doesn't want to help, he's busy. If a woman doesn't want to help, suddenly she's selfish. In fact, so many tv shows actively portray a woman being the one who runs errands at a workplace. If she's doing so much extra work - what does she get out of it?"

She shuddered. "Call me selfish. But I don't want to live that life at the office. I want to focus on myself and my work without having to worry about other people's bullshit."