1

Guy | Girl

A young girl and boy sat gingerly on opposite seats, a tarnished and scratched wooden desk separating them from tearing each other apart. The clock ticked in silence as the girl frowned judgingly at the boy, and the boy lolled his head on his hand in boredom. The teacher ahead, snoring happily on his arm, the blackboard behind him had DETENTION scrawled on it in sloppy handwriting.

Neither bothered to look at the other, much less exchange conversation.

As time ticked on, the girl seethed, frustrated. She would be home, drowned in her blankets and pillows, Netflix already playing, and a bag of chips rested in the crook of her arm if it weren't for him. Instead of butt stuck to the rock-hard chair from the hot classroom, an annoying boy drumming his fingers and grating on her nerves, and dying of boredom.

"Have you ever wished that you were a girl?" The girl suddenly piped up. An idea forming in her mind.

He stared up from his hand in surprise, his mouth opening, despite their intense dislike for each other. "Um...no... Have you ever wished you were a guy?"

"When I'm on my period and the cramps seem to tear apart my insides. When I'm on the bus, and some creep keeps pushing into me. When the night is dark, and I'm all alone. When I'm limited and labelled and judged because of my gender."

"So yes, sometimes I do wish I am a guy."