Overworld Chapter 4 - See You Soon

Start from the beginning

            Sheathing it, Link followed behind the Knights towards Eveningale. The sun was already rising when Link reached the edge of the village. He wondered how long he had been in the temple, and figured that it couldn’t have been any less than a day, considering that the Knights had never caught up with them. Now, a day after his adventure had begun, he was getting ready to leave again.

            He was beginning to regret not stopping in the Valley when a firm hand gripped his shoulder. In his tired state, Link nearly jumped out of his own skin. Bruce laughed. “You look exhausted.”

            “We do not have time for you, Bruce.

            Link noted that Endeavor’s voice was sounding a little drained from exhaustion as well. Bruce replied, “I’m sure. You’ve got this whole world saving adventure. But I’ve got this idea that I thought you’d like to know about, or know that I’m thinking about it. I’m not quite sure how it’s going to work out, but I want to use that arena back in the fortress for something.”

            “You are keeping us from our business for a half completed idea?

            “I suppose I am,” Bruce finished. “Well, when I get it worked out, I’ll send you a letter. I guess I was just trying to tell you about it because I thought it could be useful for you. After all…” He quickly covered his vacant expression with a grin, replacing the fact that he was trying to show some gratitude to Link for saving his life, and then not saying anything about it. “You need to get on that quest of yours, don’t you?”

            “Thank you.

            Link shook his head at Endeavor. He waved to the young knight and continued north towards the Hyrule Field. Castle Town was a nearly a day’s walk from here. It would be a long day, and he hoped for a warm bed before the day was over.

            Stopping outside the Eveningale train stop, Link looked back over his shoulder towards home. He didn’t know when he would see it again. It could be years from now for all he knew.

            “You have a long way to travel today, Link. Do not worry about the future just yet. I have enchanted the Hero’s Shrine and left a bedroll for you there. It may not be an inn, but it is somewhere to sleep for the night. Do not try to go any further than the Shrine today, and be sure to remember your map.

            Link pulled out the brown parchment from his pack. Hylian runes were sketched in across the map by all sorts of hands, some more legible than others. But all places of importance were marked well enough for Link to find. Link located the Shrine, waited for the next train to pass before crossing the tracks and went on his way.

            Hero’s Shrine sat in the northeastern portion of Hyrule Field. From its crown a traveler could see to the edges of Port City and Kakariko Village, and even the walls of Castle Town.

            It was a little strange for Link walking up into the Shrine. In a sense, it was dedicated to him.

            “It is not simply dedicated to your past lives. The Crown has insisted on burying your previous forms here.

            That set everything on an even more awkward level. Link stepped onto the white platform and picked up the bedroll that sat in the Shrine, and the flask and bread that sat next to it. He felt stiff, not sure how to treat this location anymore.

            “I would not worry about the dead, Link. You are reborn, and those past bodies do not last long after its replacement. This is no more a tomb than the your village.