Overworld Chapter 47 - The True Desert

…the Gerudo rider. Daniel and Endeavor raced after them. Parijan, repurposed, led the charge. Link trusted that the woman knew where she was headed, and let Epona simply follow after Lanayru.

After a mile or so of a chasing, Daniel bellowed, “Slow down, Parijan! You’re going to wind our horses before we even get there!”

Parijan wheeled Lanayru around. The mare reared, thrashing sand as she turned. Parijan waited for the rest of them to keep up. Daniel said, “We know you’re eager to save your brother, but it’s no good if we’re all dead.”

“I don’t think you know what we’re about to go up against,” Parijan replied.

“What’s that?” Link inquired.

“Lanayru Desert, heart of the sands,” Endeavor replied.

Parijan nodded. “She’s right. This is my mare’s namesake. It is the most dangerous region of this desert. I believe your fort with the same name sits somewhere along this part of the desert as well.”

“Yeah, I can see the outline from here,” Daniel said, gazing out across the sands. Link followed and saw the walls of Fort Lanayru low on the horizon.

“Long before any of our times, this was the ocean on the other side of Hyrule,” Parijan said. “It makes this place unpredictable and dangerous, even for the most experienced Gerudo riders.”

Endeavor drew her cowl up a little further as the wind began to pick up. Link drew his own wind guard up over his nose. Endeavor stated, “There is a storm coming from within this place, a storm that has not been seen for countless years in a region like this. Zeal means to tear this place down to its foundations to stop us.”

“Then we better get going,” Daniel replied, some realization dawning on him.

Parijan turned Lanayru, and rode on across the desert once more. Epona snorted, before matching the pace of the slender horse. Link watched the horizon. Clouds rolled far off in the distance, but if this was a magical storm, then those clouds would soon be moving in over them.

Kargaroks loomed overhead. They look more like vultures than the massive winged creatures that dwelled in Hyrule Fields or the brightly plumed ones that flew over Hylia Bay. Guays followed in their wake, searching the desert for prey.

Something moved out of the corner of Link’s eye. He followed it for a moment, before he saw it. It looked like a short cactus, spinning rapidly towards them. Link pulled his bow off his back and launched an arrow at the creature. His arrow connected with the front of the plant, sending it tumbling backwards, before disappearing into smoke.

“Don’t waste your time on levers, Link,” Daniel stated, riding up along side of Link. “They’re too common. They won’t be able to catch up with us the rate we’re riding anyways.”

The sand turned more into hardened red clay as they went on. A few of the birds swooped down and attempted to attack them, but they were quickly thwarted. Link continued to scan the horizon, looking for anything that might be getting close to them. He saw an opening in the valley walls south of them. He sent a glance at Endeavor. She answered, “That is the entrance to the Scar. It is a forbidden land to all those who fight under Hyrule’s banner.”

“By the King?” Link bellowed over the wind. The storm was fast approaching.

“By the people who live there,” Endeavor answered. “The Temple of Soul is there, in the base of the Scar. We will have to try our luck with them.”

Link sent a wary glance towards the passage again. Epona neighed loudly, bringing Link’s attention back into the desert. In front of him, Parijan was urging Lanayru on hard. The mare surged forward, before leaping out of sight.