18 | Twenty Questions

Start from the beginning

"Sure," she gives in, rolling her eyes. A smile appears on Chris' gorgeous face, dimples showing.

"I'll start. I'll start with simple questions," he says and begins to think.

"Why did you walk away on Tuesday morning?" He questions.

"Seriously? What's your definition of a simple question?" She huffs.

He shrugs. "Just answer it."

"I didn't want to talk to you," she confesses with a shrug.

"I knew it!" He exclaims with a sad look on his face.

No one speaks for a few seconds.

"Okay. Your turn."

"Simple questions...." Stephanie taps her index finger against her cheek.

She stops tapping and looks Chris dead in the eye.

He feels as if she's boring right into his soul.

"When did you notice my existence? When did you know that Stephanie Valentine exists?"

Chris momentarily stills.

Fuck. Why that question? Of all questions? And her last name is Valentine?

"I'm waiting, Christopher." She grumbles.

Chris continues to stare at her. She just called him by his full name and even though he hates when people do that, he doesn't mind her calling him that. If anything, he actually likes it.

"Well..." She drags the word.

Chris' eyes go to her luscious lips that he kissed the other night. Right now, he wants to kiss her again.

Steph watches him as he keeps staring, waiting for his answer.

She knows what his answer will be, that's if he tells her the truth.

"Christopher," she calls in a chiding tone, getting frustrated with his silence.

He gets out of his trance when he hears his name again.

He sighs in defeat. "The truth is- it was eleven days ago."

"Exactly!" Steph exclaims but frowns after. "I didn't expect such an accurate answer."

He shrugs.

"So you just found out someone like me exists eleven days ago and you expect me to just suddenly become your friend or something?" She asks in confusion.

"I'm sorry?" He says with uncertainty, shrugging only his left shoulder slightly and tilting his head to the left.

"And No, I don't expect us to suddenly be friends," he adds.

She sighs. "Your turn."

"Okay." He pauses. "How is it that I never noticed you?"

Wait, isn't that obvious already?

"Firstly, we are not of the same social status and secondly, I'm what Brooke calls a Wallflower. I don't want drama in my life and what better way to achieve that than to avoid the popular crowd," she answers and points a finger at him.

"So how well is that working for you?" He asks.

"It's not your turn," she glares at him. "Honestly, it has been working up until this year. This year feels different. I mean look at me, I'm in detention, playing twenty questions with you, so...yeah."

That is exactly how she sees it. This year, things seem to have changed.

Here she is, playing twenty questions with Christopher Hayes- of all people. If she had been told this would happen, she'd have laughed in the person's face. Even if it's a fortune teller.