24. Explanations

I asked Charles to again bind my bosom, and he did it with tenderness and care, and with much less restriction than had been my habit of wrapping. When he finished, I took a deep breath and sighed it out. "This allows me to breathe with more ease, but will it properly disguise my form?"

He placed a hand on each of my shoulders and gently shook. "Watch the motion, Camille. There is near none. The loose fullness of your shirt requires only that your breasts be restrained to not jounce and wabble about. There is no need for tight binding."

I hopped up and down as I watched them, then I twisted fast from side to side. "With the cloth wrapped in this loose manner, the tucked end is less well held, and look here." I shook again. "As I had feared, it begins to come free."

"We can clip the end in place with some bamboos."

"Bamboos? What are they?"

"Pieces of split cane we use to hold sheets of parchment together, to keep charts organised and so forth. We could place one or two here to better secure the end. I shall fetch some."

I trembled as I watched the roll of his butt when he walked toward the door to the great cabin, and even more as I watched Cyclops swing and whip about when he returned.

"You should dress, Camille; you appear to be cold."

I laughed and shook my head. "No, rather hot, Charles. Trembling from watching you. But more from what my thoughts do with what I see. Nature has clearly devised ways for women to be attracted to men."

"And men to women." He caressed the rising bulges of my nubbins through the cloth, then he placed two of the small golden pieces to hold the binding end to the next layer, saying as he checked their security, "The wrapping should be only so tight as to ensure none but us are aware of your breasts. There is need for neither pain nor bruising."

A short while later, as I sat in the privy, I pondered what would add comfort. A second bidet that we might better clean our bums of ordure. Finer soap. Some Castille would be nice. And better towels. For the bedchamber as well. And on the wall in there a mirror that I might look at myself. I giggled. And a hand mirror for down there to find the beauty Charles sees.

I paused to reflect, finding it strange that I have not before wanted to examine my cunny. More of Mother's strict prohibitions. I must now question all that she had told me.

As I wiped with the tow rag, I confirmed the need of a bidet. And a second bucket of fresh water that we not be concerned about running out.

Not long after I had emerged from the privy and Charles had gone in, seven bells pealed. I asked at the door, "Shall I go forward to fetch our breakfasts?"

"Please do, Camille."

When I opened the door to the weather deck, Steward was approaching, and he greeted me with a stern face. "That was a foolhardy venture, Boy, fleeing ashore. Whatever was that for? I had thought you were pleased to be aboard."

"Oh, I am pleased, Steward. But when Captain ordered me to my closet, I thought I had angered him by disputing his opinion."

"Then, why did you not accept that punishment and remain in there?"

I shrugged. "My wish was to not further displease him; he is too fine a man for that. So in haste, I decided to leave the ship to seek another life."

"That is not the way to resolve matters, Boy." Steward shook his head. "He was greatly anguished when he discovered you had left the ship."

I winced, feeling my face warm. "I now know this, Steward. We had a great long intercourse about it last evening."

"You are still young, Boy, but as you mature, you will find it best to take what is given by those above you and to learn from it." He pursed his lips, remaining silent a short time, then he asked, "What had caused his anger?"

"Nothing. He was not angered. Rather, I had mistaken his reason for having bade me away. He had merely wanted privacy, that he could bathe."

Steward nodded. "Yes, that is like him. His manner is often obscure, and at times he can be brusque. But above all, he is fair and honest, and his intent is ever kindly."

I delighted in this insight. "Thank you, Steward, This is most valuable, and it will assist me in my dealings and intercourse with him."

"Will he have you continue dining with him?"

"Yes, I confirmed this just minutes ago." I hefted the pannier. "I must now fetch our breakfasts."

When I arrived in the cookery, Mate looked up from his work to greet me. "That was a dangerous thing yer did, Boy. Tis not safe to go ashore alone in the dark of night, specially a young un such as ye be. Always find some stout lads to accompany ye, even in the light of day."

"Thank you, Mate. I have now been well cautioned about this."

"Heed the caution seriously, Boy. I lost a young cook here two years ago."

I cringed at the thought of being abducted to slavery. "I shall, Mate."

When my pannier had been loaded, I thanked Mate and climbed the steps to the weather deck, and as I headed aft, Edwards accosted me. "You dumb asshead. Do you not know the danger of going ashore alone?"

"I have now been told, Mid." I shrugged. "But I had not been previously warned."

He nodded. "You need to learn the ways of life in a ship. Maybe the other two mids and I can help you with this."

I paused a moment to think how he might consider my refusal, so I replied, "I would like that."

"We are stepping ashore after breakfast to visit the market and the merchant shops. You could come with us, and we can begin teaching you the ways."

"Thank you, but I will be otherwise engaged. Captain has asked that I accompany him ashore to assist with his cyphering."

"Cyphering? Assist?" Edwards burst into loud laughing, and when he had calmed, he added, "You assist him?" He laughed again. "I am sure he means that he will teach you."

"Possibly. But he tells me mine is as exacting as his." I shrugged. "Besides, two doing the reckoning is better than one. If we agree, fine. If we do not, then find why we differ."

Edwards nodded. "When have you cyphered with him?"

"Calculating the noon sun and deducing the distance made good on the chart."

"Already? Hah! A mendacious lie. The last captain did not broach any of this with me. It is only the last few weeks I have begun learning it. You are a fabricator, a braggart. Boasting like the previous boy."

"This is a different captain, Mid." I lifted the pannier. "And I must hie to bring him his breakfast.