Chapter Fifteen- The Birthday Battle.

I wake up in the morning to the aroma of waffles, I haven't had a home-cooked breakfast in ages. Usually, I skip breakfast altogether, my body and I admitted that breakfast was a waste of time. Besides, I always get up for school at the last minute, it's not like my morning routine is compact. I peer over at the kitchen counter and I'm astounded to see my mom and dad...cooking? They seem happy together. I've neglected how much I yearned this, we resemble a family again. My parents were laughing and flinging flour at each other, they look like a couple in a cringey rom-com movie. 

"Hey mom, hey Dad," I walk into the kitchen, my parents pause appearing as if nothing was transpiring between them. They tense at first but soon unwind to return to cooking. "Thanks for breakfast, that was nice of you," they've made a whole buffet I think to myself.

My parents turn to look at me in synch, they both say, "Happy Birthday Christopher!!!" 

I almost forgot it's my birthday! Oh my god, I'm Eighteen, I'm an adult! My mind had planned this day differently, I was intending on moving out or finding somewhere I could stay. What I knew was that when I turned 18 I was going to find a way out of this house. But now I felt like I didn't need to, I don't have a valid reason. My mom could change, I'm hoping she does, this is the first time I've felt like I had a family at home again. My house was finally home again. Is that only because my dad has shown up? Whatever it was this was the feeling I got at Emery's house. Finally feeling like I was home again, feeling like I truly belonged somewhere, that's how I felt now. 

"Thank you!" I chuckle a bit and pull them into a group hug. We pull away and they finish making breakfast, I try to help by setting our small dining table. We had a nice family breakfast, everyone was laughing and smiling. It somewhat looked like my parents were a couple, for a short instance, I caught them holding hands. My birthday was nice and the morning seemed to fly by. My dad gave me some money as a "gift." I plan to use the money for my car or college. There was still a small hope within me that I could go to college. I applied for a few scholarships, they haven't been announced yet, I'll at least get one or two hopefully. I didn't want my parents to pay for college, I'm sure they will offer but it's something I've always felt like was my responsibility. 

In the afternoon someone came to our house, people didn't normally come by since there weren't many trailers, so this was a rare occasion. I went to the door and I was surprised to see who was standing there. "Adrian?" I say questioning his presence. I wasn't sure how he knew I lived here or why the hell he was here. "Get to the point-" I say mocking the tone he previously used when I came up to him in the hallway. 

He stares at me and catches on to me mocking his tone. He knew I was somewhat kidding, "I just stopped by to say happy birthday." I look down at his hands and notice he's holding a small box that is very nicely wrapped. Okay, this isn't funny, a prank on my birthday? Haha, where's Adrian? Who did this to him? Why is the prank not ending, it's not funny anymore, does Adrian have a twin that's playing mind games on me? 

I realized I had been staring at Adrian for a long uncomfortable amount of time. "Uh, thank you," I say. He hands me the box and said to open it later. This only makes me want to open it right in front of him. But he finally did something nice to me, again...wait...AGAIN? What is happening? Does he want to be my friend? Is his mom forcing him to? No, he's trying to get to my head so he can get Emery. That's why he's being so nice, he likes her. I almost forgot...I thought about asking him if he did like emery but I thought that'd be awkward. I can only assume he likes Emery. I mean, why else would he be helping me, being nice to me suddenly, and giving me presents for? I take the box from him.

"Thank you, Adrian. That was considerate of you." I say I move my hand to scratch my neck while holding the box in a cradle position. "Uh, do you want to come in? We have a ton of leftovers from breakfast, my mom and dad cooked for 50 guests when in actuality there were 3." I chuckle a bit and move to the side of the door so he can come inside. I don't know why I asked him if he wanted to come in since now I was inviting him inside. He slips his way inside the door, maybe Adrian isn't bad, my god, why can't I accept that? He comes inside fully and makes himself right at home, he takes a seat at the dining table.