Chapter Ten- In which we begin not to understand.

One thing that was hard to dream up was the next day, I awake with thoughts drilling my brain, on and on they go. I wasn't suicidal but I'd been lonelier than before, I never really thought to have one friend was a problem. But, what if that friend turns into more, then they leave? Losing someone, how hard can it be? Trust me I know. I used to be popular with many fake friends but does that count? No, not really. I was excited that something had happened between me and Emery, FINALLY! But, was there much point in starting to date now? Probably not, she'd go off to college and marry some lawyer. I wasn't good enough for her, besides, I might not be able to go to college. I'm barely being able to make it through high school as is.

              It was morning and I felt a sense of monachopsis; a persisting sense of being out of place. Sometimes I got used to what Emery's world thinking it was mine, and I wish it was. It is a nice escape but when one escape is closed you go to another, right? I think so, I've always been a fan of this writing thing...which is why I do it. It's nice to tell people about our story. It's nice to look back. I got ready for school not trying per usual, It was still a bit weird saying I was going to school. During the three weeks, I didn't do anything, I was bored except anytime I got to see Emery. I got in my car and headed to Emery's place. She came out and off to school we went. I would say nothing interesting happened but I think that'd be a lie.

               Something interesting did happen but I'm not sure if it was good or bad interesting. Emery was acting strangely she seemed fatigued, out of place if I must say. I didn't question her I just assumed it was that time of the month again. She was complaining about her leg cramping throughout the day, which seemed odd. She didn't seem to think much of it either but that could've been our biggest mistake now that I look back at it. The day went by, as usual, we saw each other in the hallway, she was smiling like everything was okay. Later on in the day, we went to lunch, we didn't go to our normal lunch place, we decided to try something new. It wasn't very good, to be honest.

     After lunch we went back to school, we walked to our hour together since we had the same one, she was quite.

      "Did you sleep?" I move over to open the door to our classroom.

        She walks in the open door that I was holding. "Yes, just lacking energy."

           I follow behind her and we sit down at our table. I could tell that she wasn't paying attention, again weird. I was too zoned-out about Emery that neither of us could focus. Then, everything changed. She falls, decreasing in number. Moving to a lower level, descending under the force of gravity.

          "Emery!" I screamed forgetting we were in class.

                I dropped to my knees beside her on the ground. I laid her head on my lap, she'd passed out. The teacher came over with a phone in her hand dialing 911. I couldn't help myself from not bursting out in tears, this was my fear. Why do bad things happen to good people? By that, I'm meaning Emery. My hands were shaking as I sat next to her, her head on my lap. I didn't know what to do, I was hoping that when you called 911 they would try and come. Fast. My heart was racing her pulse was so faint, I kept checking. Everyone in the class stood around her like some sort of memorial, people were crying. What a bunch of fakes, half of these people don't even know her. The real her.

                      Finally, fifteen minutes later the ambulance shows up. They put her onto a cot, basically prying her from my arms. Then, they loaded her on those bed things as you see on T.V shows. They were hurrying their way outside, I followed carrying her stuff along with me. They loaded her into the truck closing the doors, I had been shut out. Locked out of Emery's well-being. I ran behind the truck as they left, my best friend, they are taking her. I slowed as they turned the corner, I wouldn't have been able to catch up to that speedy truck. I sank, falling onto the concrete. She's gone, not forever, but how am I supposed to know if she was okay?

                 I got up from the concrete as it was burning my knees, my eyes were suddenly dry. After hours of tears, they were finally gone. I slowed my way as I walked back to school. I saw Emery's parents there yelling at a principal and crying. I walked over to the Baker's pulling them aside, so they'd leave the poor principal alone.

            "Mr. and Mrs. Baker, I'm so sorry. I should've taken her home. She was not herself today and I noticed, this is all my fault. I'm sorry..."

             Mr. Baker interrupts my awful apology, for my awful deed. "Son, it's not your fault. There is no one to blame in this matter. My wife and I dreaded the day this may come of us."

            "Wh-what-what do you mean?" I couldn't help to interrupt him, I was angsty. What could Emery possibly not tell me? We tell each other everything...or so I thought.

                 Mrs. Baker keeps her calm tone even though, she was worried. "Emery was born with one kidney, which is fine to live with. People do it a lot. When she was born the doctor told us that her one kidney would also have problems. I'm afraid her kidney is failing, did she say anything about leg cramps, Chris?"

                 I felt her sad eyes gaze upon me, they looked helpless. Suddenly I felt this guilt of not thinking anything about her complaining earlier on. "Yes," I mumbled under my breath.

            Her parents exchanged a worried look. They offered me a ride in their car so we could go to the hospital. I knew missing school wouldn't affect me but I told them I'd meet them there. I went up to the principle and took a very deep breath.

            "Mrs.....may I be excused from school? I know, you need a parent to check you out, but I'm afraid mine would be out cold on the couch. I'm doing this for the Bakers, do you understand?"

              She looked at me with a smile welcoming smile nodding her head. For the first time, a guardian was genuine, who knew. I went out to the parking lot and drove to the hospital, I assumed the ambulance would take her to the closest one to Gert Town, New Orleans. Tulane Medical Center. A 10-minute drive, suddenly it made sense why it took so long for the ambulance to get to the school. But it didn't since they could drive so fast. They had most likely already arrived at the hospital, I was driving faster than normal. Skipping some red lights. I didn't want to break or stop. I wasn't even sure where I had begun, I was going 15 miles above the speed limit. I felt careless, yet cared about everything at risk.

             Though I was driving fast, I felt as if it was the longest drive ever. I assumed Emery would need a kidney donor and since I have two living healthy organisms, I might donate one. A person with kidney failure can choose to accept or reject your offer to donate. Emery will have the right to decide against a transplant (though you may feel it would help). The patient, who must live with the disease, has the right to decide what is to be done. Hopefully, she'll accept, even though the risk of surviving surgery is terrifying. I've been to one surgery when I was younger. I was almost killed, ever since then I've been scared to even walk past a hospital.

           Now look, I'm running towards one. I made it to the hospital speeding my way, I'm almost there. I'm coming to you Emery, I'm coming.