Chapter 19

Amy came our way and layed her towel next to Michael's towel, so Michael was between my towel and Amy's. She gave me a quick smile, just to annoy me, and I heard Calum whispering ''what the fuck is she doing here?'' but even with the effort he made of whispering, Amy heard it.
 -Well, you guys invited Zoey and you know that as a responsible guide, I can't let her be alone with... bad influences- she looked directly at me.
    I noticed Zoey getting a bit upset, by the fact that Amy was using her just to be around Michael. Ashton, that now is next to us, grabbed my arm and told me they tried to leave her at home, but she came anyway. Apparently she isn't just following Michael, she's upsetting me, she wants me out of the way. But you know what? I'm not going to back off. Actually, I'm going to stay in front of her every single time. Let's see what she'll do about it.
    I tried to forget the fact that she was there to enjoy a bit of the afternoon. All of us layed on each towel without our clothes. Phillipa layed next to me and whispered ''I don't know how you can be this calm'' but I closed my eyes and pretended I didn't hear her. I was far from calm... After a while, everyone was silent. Luke got up and stared at everyone.
 -Are we really going to just stay there? Come on... Let's go to the water or something. -Luke said, sick of doing nothing.
 -Yeah, let's go to the water... -I said, getting up.
    As soon as I got up, Michael followed me, grabbing me by my waist. Amy wasn't looking like she was liking, but I didn't really cared. I wanted to have a good time, especially with Michael. We deserve it... Everyone suddently also got up and followed us to the water. Luke was the first to touch the water, but walked back immediatly.
 -Are you scared of the water, Luke?
 -Go on and see why I won't get in now, Ashton...
    Ashton, to make a good impression, jumped to the water. After a few seconds we heard a scream.
 -Shit! It's cold!
 -Yeah, no way genius -Luke said, sarcastically.
    Ashton gave Christy a sweet smile and she got in the water too. They looked so cute together, everyone was a bit jealous. Especially me...
 -Now they make me sick. -Phillipa said, winking at me.
 -Me too. -I laughed a bit- And how are you with Calum?
 -Well, Luke tried to make things less awkward, but it didn't work out... He texted me when we left Michael's place. I went staright to Luke's house and I got a text on the way home.
 -What did it say?
 -I said ''I didn't lie''.
 -Se he does love you... What are you going to do?
    As we both got in the water slowly, she continued talking.
 -I don't know! That's the thing... I want to tell him how I feel but I can't.
 -Why?
 -Then it won't be the same.
 -No, it'll be even better...
 -How do you know?
 -Because that's what happened with me and Michael.
     Phillipa looked at me with her eyes wide opened.
 -You guys told you love each other?
 -Yes... And I was fearing the same thing, but... -I looked at Michael and he smiled- it turned fine.
 -So you think I should say it?
 -Yes... But go easy on him. He's alone now, go...
 -Thank you...
     She moved in the water, walking towards Calum. He was playing with the water on his hands, looking a bit sad, but soon his face enlightened when he saw Phillipa smiling. I was looking at them, to see if I could understand what they were talking about, when I felt something grabbing my ankle and pushing me down. With the scare I got, I fell on the water, now completely under it, opened my eyes and saw Michael.
 -Michael! Don't ever do that again! I got scared, I could've died!
 -Don't be so dramatic -he chuckled- it was a joke... And I'm here to save you if you need.
    Michael grabbed my waist, obviously something he loved doing, and pulled me closer. ''I'm always here for you'' he whispered on my ear, making me blush and I layed my head on his shoulder as he hugged so no one could see I was turning red.
 -Get a room!
 -Shut up, Luke! You're jealous...
 -No... I'm not...
    Luke looked at Zoey and she kind of hid her face, she too was blushing. But she did something I never thought she would do... she swam over to where Luke was, and started talking to him. Now Amy was all alone, not even in the water, just looking at us. There was something about her angry/jealous face that made me feel good, but as a nice person, I called her to come with us. She turned her back to us and went to her towel.
 -It's better that way. -Michael smiled.
    Everyone was with someone. Ashton was making out with Christy, Calum and Phillipa were talking, Luke and Zoey just staring at each other, and Michael and me... Well, we were having fun in our way. He had his arms wrapped around my body and we were just feeling the waves crashing into our stomachs.
______________________
     We were all in our towels, chatting with each other and laughing. Zoey and Amy got up, anouncing they were going for a quick walk. Everyone nodded and we went back to our conversation. Phillipa was definately happier, so I asked her to get closer to me so we could talk, I wanted to know what was going on.
 -So?
 -I talked with him.
 -And did you say it?
 -Yes...
 -And what was his reaction?
 -He liked to hear it... A lot...
 -Come one, Phillipa! Details, I want them.
 -Ugh, okay. When I left your side I told him I wanted to talk. And I froze... I didn't know what to say, I mean, I knew what to say but I just didn't know how. So... I just spat it. I said it... At first I couldn't tell if he was happy, sad, angry or mad. But then he hugged me and pulled me closer to him. I think we're going to have a pretty good story to remember later... -she said while blushing.
 -Are you blushing? I think this is the first time I see you blushing.
 -Well, this is what love does. -she giggled.
     Everything seemed okay. For days there was always something bothering me and now, finally everything was good.
_______________________
     Between the sounds of the waves and the laughter of children I heard a loud scream. I woke up and I saw everyone in our group getting up, worried. I looked in the direction of the sea and Amy was drowning. Zoey was screaming to get our attention so someone could take her out of the water. Michael is the best swimmer in the group so he ran to the water, dived in and swam towards Amy. She was in his arms, looking unconscious. He put her on the dry sand so that he could do mouth to mouth resuscitation. We all got closer as we saw life getting into Amy's eyes.
 -Are you okay? Amy?
 -Yes, Michael. Thank you! Thank you so much... I think that if it wasn't for you I'd be dead by now. Thank you, you're my hero...
    She landed her arms on his body and kissed his chest.
_______________________
     Two hours after the incident, at 5:15pm, we were all together again. Amy was as happy as I've seen her, because she was in Michael's arms, getting all his attention. She called me and said she needed to talk to me, she wanted to say something in private. I nodded, got up and followed her.
 -What's wrong?
 -Nothing. I just wanted to talk...
    Somehow I thought she was going to apologize for the way she has been treating me and she was going to say she wanted us to be friends.
 -About what?
 -About how easy it's going to be for me to steal Michael from you.
 -What? What do you mean?
 -Did you see the way he kissed me? He loves me! You're just a girl that's taking his mind of me, but once you get out of the picture, he'll remember the good times we had and we will get together again, and there will be nothing you can do because you're on the other side of the planet.
 -He didn't kiss you, he was saving you!
 -Saving me from what? I wasn't drowning.
 -Are you telling me you did all of that for attention?
 -Well, it wouldn't be the first time...
 -Amy, you could've get hurt! You could've hurt Michael when he was trying to ''save'' you!
 -Oh, come on... Don't ruin the atmosphere.
 -You're crazy... How can you do something like this?
 -You should learn that no girl comes between me and my man. Did you look at his face when he saw that I ''survived''? He was happy, so happy! Admit it, you know how hard it is to forget someone you love! He will never forget me...
    My face was burning from all the anger inside and I felt tears rolling down my cheeks. I didn't know what to do... I couldn't argue with what she just told me. Some part of it is true... He did look happy when she opened her eyes and when they were together, maybe it's also true that he loves her... Maybe as soon as I go back home, he will try to get her back. Maybe he's just using me. But I told him I loved him and he told me the same thing, was he lying?
    I looked back and saw him. Just looking at us and smiling, not noticing that I was crying due to the distance between us. Questions were flying in my head. Was he smiling to me or to her? Does he really meant all the things he said? Am I just a backup plan?
    I can't take this. I stormed my way to the place where we were staying and picked up my stuff. Everyone looked at me, worried, especially Michael, but I didn't care. I ran away as fast as I could, not knowing where to go. I just want to go home...