"What are you talking about, Malfoy? Why would it be your fault. You weren't even there."

"I came back." Draco breathed out, taking deep breaths in order to regain a certain level of composure. "After I left with my parents that day after the battle, I came back. I wanted to help, to do something, anything in order to redeem myself."

"But I never saw you at the castle." Harry said, starting to feel nervous.

"That's because I never got there. While I was walking along the outside area of the castle I heard noises, yells and screams and saw flashes of curses flying through the trees. I went there to see what was going on and I saw... her."

"Her?" Harry asked, dread starting to drip into his voice.

"Her... Granger. She was fighting off five Death Eaters. I saw her taking out two of them but the other three were closing in on her. They looked angry and seemed ready to use the killing curse at any moment. Without realizing what I was doing, I stepped from behind my hiding place and shot a curse at one of them. Got him right in the chest and then..."

Draco stopped, his eyes widening quickly, as if he realized something important. He wanted to continue but hesitated, wringing his hands, his mind working furiously. Harry noticed his momentarily hesitation and frowned.

"What happened then, Malfoy? You said it was your fault. What did you mean by that?" Harry's voice sounded cold all of a sudden. His eyes were narrowed, and he surveyed the man in front of him carefully.

"I tried to get the other two, but they escaped." Draco said drily, staring Harry in the face.

"But why did you say it was you fault?" Harry insisted, growing more impatient by the minute.

"Because I performed the Obliviate spell on her, Potter. I made her forget all those things. Never thought she would forget me as well. That certainly wasn't my intention, but... let's look on the bright side. A world without Draco Malfoy is surely a better one." He finished with a drawl. He was slowly starting to regain his normal attitude.

"You... Obliviated her?" Harry repeated in wonder and shock.

"Yes, Potter. She looked hurt and I wanted her to forget it. I wanted her to forget many of the awful things that happened because of me in the past. Didn't I tell you that I came back in order to help?"

Harry remained quiet for a couple of minutes, then started shaking his head slowly.

"Well, you either did a wonderful job or a very poor one, seeing how not only she doesn't remember all those things, but she doesn't remember the one who actually performed the spell."

"Like I said, Potter, that wasn't my intention. Nevertheless, the effect is welcomed, and if you ask me, I believe is for the best. She can now live her life oblivious of the prat who tormented her all those years ago, or the Death Eater who did so many awful things to the people she cared about."

Draco stared to get up, slowly reaching for the door, when he heard Harry's voice.

"If you really believe that to be so, you will have to stay away from her. That way you will protect her from ever having to remember any of it."

Harry's words sounded strangely like a condemnation in Draco's mind, but he agreed, nonetheless. He nodded in response.

"That was my intention, Potter. No need to worry." He said waving a hand. "Good day for now. I will see you tomorrow morning." He tipped his head and left Harry's office without another look back.

Harry remained sitting in his chair, unmoving for several minutes. He reviewed the conversation he just had with Draco, trying to make sense of everything. He had the strange feeling Draco hasn't been entirely honest with him, like he was holding back on certain things. What those things could be, Harry had no idea. Then, another thought entered his mind. Would Draco really be able to stay away from Hermione? Them being neighbors surely wasn't going to make things easier for him.

Meanwhile, Draco went back to the flat and shut himself up in his room, completely ignoring Blaise's inquiries on how he found the neighborhood. He laid down on the bed, staring at the ceiling.

Someone definitely has a twisted sense of humor. He thought letting out a scoff. I should be glad, right? My spell worked, rather too well. I wonder if it would ever be possible to lift it. Would she ever regain her memories or at least remember me?

Draco put a stop to his thoughts. He shouldn't be thinking that. After all, that's what he had wanted, hadn't he? He wanted for her to forget and to be happy. So what if he wasn't in her memories anymore? It wasn't like he ever made her happy to begin with. No, it was better this way. All he had to do now, was to stay away from her.

Thank you all for reading my story! Since I have a few chapters written in advance I thought I might surprise you all with another update. Since I don't know if I will post anything tomorrow, I'll update the next chapter immediately after this one ;) Hope you will enjoy them! Have a wonderful day everyone! ^^