"What the hell, Ty?"

"Found it."

Josh and Jonathan both spoke at the same time. Forgetting all about Josh’s antics, we all leaned forward and hovered over the book where a dusty page was sprawled open. The left page was entirely text heavy, written with ink which had faded out whereas the other side of the page had some sort of illustration. Upon close inspection, I realized it was…

…The golden pin.

I instantly grabbed the book and turned it in my direction to read the caption under the photo, "This pin is a symbol of courage and valor, assigned to the bravest of soldiers who are ready to lay down their lives in service of..."

A cold shiver ran down my spine as I mentally read the final word. My eyes travelled up and connected with Jonathan's, "Lycans."

-----

Another long and sleepless night awaited me. I wrestled my duvet covers, and breathed slowly to calm my racing mind which kept replaying memories and thoughts of the past. The night wore on as I tossed from one side to the other,the bed becoming a tangle of covers. The unsolved mysteries and problems kept on remerging, itching to be solved. I stared at the ceiling and took Goddess knows how many deep breaths but the sense of discomfort was still blossoming inside my chest. I knew it was going to be another long night so instead of lying idle, I threw the covers back and stumbled out.

"Vivian?" A light, feminine voice called my name in the darkness. It caught me off-guard, causing me to hit my toe against the bed.

I muffled the scream which threatened to escape my lips as I fell straight on the bed, clutching my toe and massaging it lightly to soothe the jolting pain.

"Are you okay, darling?" The lights switched on, the intensity of the brightness straining my vision for a second.

I looked at the person standing near my bed, the sweet smell of jasmine lingering in the air.

It was her.

"Mom?"

Forgetting the pulsating pain in my toe, I leaped over my bed and gave her a bone-crushing hug.

"You're awake!" I cupped her face and went in for another hug.

She gave out a little laugh and wrapped her arms around me, "My sweet girl. I have missed you."

"She's back!" my wolf rejoiced

I know!

A lone tear traced down my cheek, and just like that, the floodgates opened. Emotional pain flowed out of my every pore. I could feel the threads of discomfort, pain, anger, guilt unraveling.

"Shh, you're okay," Mom gently rubbed my back as my upper body and shoulders wracked with sobs that forced their way out, my chest rising and falling unevenly as I gasped for breath, my eyes tightly squeezed shut.

Slowly, she guided me towards the bed and laid me down, then settled next to me, putting my head on her lap.

My wolf and I were filled with warmth. Her hold was strong and gentle, unrelenting and yielding, guarding and liberating.