Emotions Feel Electric

Start from the beginning

Despite his owners demands, Cooper stayed put, placing his paw on Ellie's left hand. He looked up at her with the puppy dog eyes, something any dog owner couldn't say no to even if they tried.

Ellie smiled tearfully, gently petting the top of his head, "It's okay, buddy... I'll be okay. I'll call Riley later tonight, but for now, I'm gonna get this done until then".

Ellie rarely ever gave Cooper kisses, but it was only natural for this moment. She loved her dog dearly and never really properly showed it. Now was her chance to finally do so...

She closed the math book after writing down the first equation on her homework assignment. Ellie placed the textbook aside, along with the binder and her pencil. She pat her lap gently, "Come here, buddy!"

Cooper eagerly jumped on her lap, licking her face and begging for her attention. Ellie giggled, laying back, causing her homework to hit the floor. The loud thud sound caused Cooper to become scared, but Ellie pat his head in reassurance, "It's alright". She whispered, leaning forward to kiss Cooper's head.

Cooper moved forward, placing his paws on either side of her face. Ellie giggled, ruffling his fur playfully, "Awww, good boy! Calm down now, buddy. I'm okay"...

Ellie knew that the phrase "I'm okay" was just a cover up for "I'm not okay", but she never bothered to stop herself from saying it. She would rather save herself the trouble for later on, when she would give Riley full disclosure to smack that ridiculous phrase out of her mouth. She knew that Riley would never hurt her though, no matter how much Ellie wanted her best friend to slap her. Maybe that was what Ellie needed... Someone to smack some sense into her.

Cooper had spent the time that his owner was spending in the trainwreck of her thoughts getting comfortable enough to fall asleep. Ellie snapped back to reality once she overheard Cooper's deep breathing as he drifted off to sleep.

Ellie sighed happily, thinking of her dog as much more than just a pet. Her dog was more like her child. He was a pain in the rear end to deal with, but also never ceased to make Ellie smile or laugh. It was moments like these that mattered most and one day, Ellie strongly hoped that she would have a wife who would do the same.

Ellie spent a few short hours holding Cooper in her arms. He always made her happy and never failed to do so, but her heart suddenly sunk remembering that she snapped at him earlier.

She looked over at the TV, quickly realizing that her homework was still scattered across the floor. She sighed, "Alright, little buddy, I'm only moving you long enough to pick my stuff up". Ellie whispered, carefully lifting Cooper off of her chest and laying him down on the couch.

Ellie moved forward, balancing on her elbows to make her efforts to sit up just a little bit quieter. She stood up, kneeling down in front of her giant pile of homework, picking up her supplies.

As quietly and orderly as possible, Ellie shoved everything into the big pouch of her backpack, trying to keep it organized.

She sighed quietly at an unfortunate realization, "Why do I even bother organizing this anymore if I'm literally dropping out tomorrow morning?" Ellie whispered, shaking her head and zipping her backpack, "Whatever".

Ellie lifted her heavy backpack off of the floor, hoisting it over her right shoulder. With her left arm, she picked Cooper up, heading into her bedroom.

She felt Cooper move a tiny bit under her arm, which caused Ellie to pat his head in comfort, "Shhh, it's okay. I'm just gonna sit down"... Ellie replied, pulling her backpack off of her back and setting it up against her bed.

Ellie laid down, placing Cooper back on her chest, "Doing my homework is pointless now"... She thought, a wave of overwhelming sadness slowly blowing over her. Ellie tried stroking Cooper's fur like she had always done to calm herself down, but it didn't work out the way she had hoped.