Charming Conversations

Ellie's green, emerald eyes slowly flew open, as she reached over to grab her phone. She unplugged it from the charger and began to scroll through her social media feed.

Blindly, she reached over to see if Cooper was still laying by her feet like he usually did every morning. He was and he immediately reacted to the presence of his owners hand by hugging it with his front paws.

Ellie giggled, "Awww, good morning, little guy!" She whispered, sitting up and picking him up, "Come on. Time to go outside!" Ellie told her furry friend, standing up while holding him.

She allowed Cooper to lick her face, as she walked outside with him. Ellie placed him down on the ground, allowing him to roam around the yard and go to the bathroom.

After several minutes of watching him get all of his energy out, Ellie checked the time on her phone, "8 AM. Alright... That gives me a half an hour to change my clothes, feed Cooper and drive to my moms". Ellie thought, whistling to get Cooper's attention. He ran in front of her and jumped onto the couch, waiting patiently for Ellie to refill his food and water bowls.

Ellie smiled, remembering the moment she brought him home. He was still so tiny, loved his little dog toys and his favorite thing to do was lick her face... In the last few months, nothing had changed.

Ellie kneeled down, opening the food container up and scooping some out. Cooper walked over, the sound of all 4 paws clinking against the floor to make his presence known.

Ellie pat his head, dumping a few piece of the dog food into her palm, "Good boy", she whispered, allowing him to eat the food out of her hand.

She dumped the remainder of the scoop of food into Cooper's food bowl, then grabbed the other cup to fill it with water.

As a kid, Ellie never really had pets. It wasn't a matter of her parents not liking them or not being able to afford them... Joel and Anna just wanted their full attention to be on Ellie. She respected that though, because Ellie loved the endless attention she got from her parents in the first 13 years of her life. Despite the fact that she was older now though... That dynamic wasn't the same anymore due to the divorce.

Ellie shook off the memories that she would've rather not remembered and replaced her bad thoughts with memories of her older sister, Sarah. They were like two peas in a pod, but Sarah was 37 now. Ellie only ever called her. They never hung out, which was a huge disadvantage to having a sibling so much older than her... "You know... I should ask her to come over one day". Ellie thought, walking over to the kitchen sink and filling a cup with water.

She poured it into Cooper's water bowl, dropping in some ice cubes like she had done the previous night. Of course, Cooper started eating almost immediately, which was always something that Ellie loved to watch. To her, bonding time with Cooper was the most important thing about raising any animal.

After a few minutes, Ellie bent over to stroke his fur, "Time for me to go see mom and then Riley"... She whispered, checking her phones clock once more, "8:10. Making good time!" Ellie thought, heading into her room and opening the closet door.

She scanned her eyes through the rows of shirts and pants, her eyes catching the attention of a black pair of jeans with holes in both knees. Ellie pulled them down from the hanger, smiling like a dork, "I love these pants. Been a while since I've worn them"... Ellie thought, looking through her selection of shirts now, "Hmmm"...

After a few minutes, Ellie pulled a dark green tank top down, with a matching green 3 quarter sleeve flannel, "Not usually something I'd wear every day, but I actually like this!" Ellie whispered, making her way into the bathroom, "Alright, time to change. I've got sh*t to do!" She thought, taking off her pajamas and tossing them into the dirty clothes basket.