Preparations

In some backyard in New York

"You know what to do." David took out a bundle of money and casually put it on the table in front of him.

"For what you ask for, it's far too little," said the man, who was sitting opposite him. "I take a high risk, and if I'm getting caught, I'll sit in jail longer than a few months."

"I thought you had the reputation to do every job, even if it's dangerous or unusual." He shrugged. "I've apparently been wrong." He reached for the bundle of money to put it back in again as the man put his hand on his.

"Not so fast. You haven't been wrong. I keep what I promised. "He stroked his beard thoughtfully, "I am still of the opinion that the money is not enough for this kind of job."

"Okay," David said, "I promise you twice the amount when you've done the job properly." He looked at his contract partner with an expectant look.

"Agreed!" The man held out his hand.

David grinned satisfied. He couldn't believe what people were capable of when money was involved. He should have known. He had met people in jail who would have sold their own grandmother for such an amount of money, or for worse reasons. But here it was about much more. For twenty years he had been waiting for it and at last this day had come; The day when he would take revenge on Conrad Grayson! A warm feeling of happiness flowed through him at the thought that soon everything would belong to him.

"We meet again when everything's done."

David nodded. "Should I transfer the money?"

His contract partner shook his head. "Only cash," he said, scarcely, "everything is discreetly handled without leaving any traces. We are professionals." He straightened his body. "You won't be disappointed."

"I hope so." He looked at the man thoughtfully. "How will I know that the job has been successfully completed?"

"Conrad Grayson is not a foreigner in the media world. There will be no radio or television station that won't report about it. You can be quite sure of that."

David grinned as well. "Yes, with one hundred percent certainty," he confirmed.

"It was nice to do business with you, Mr. Bellows," the man said, nodding.

David replied the gesture. It was time to leave. Everything was said and done. Now he just had to wait for his wish to come true. And then he would start a new life together with Victoria. Just as they had planned twenty years ago.

Beach House, Hamptons

Emily looked at Charlotte, shocked, after she had told her what had happened at the Manor. One couldn't say that she was deeply attached to the woman who still accuses her of being a liar and didn't be reluctant to tell Daniel about her suspicions. But she was almost raped. No woman should suffer such a thing. "Is she okay?" She was surprised about her own question. But she had to admit that she actually worried about Victoria. Sighing, she ran a hand through her hair. What was wrong with her, that she suddenly felt compassion for her mother-in-law?

"I don't know," Charlotte said, her mouth twitching. "She says yes, but I don't believe her." She looked at Emily. "She often plays the strong, but in reality she is very vulnerable."

Emily looked at her sister in surprise. She had a good insight in human nature. She, too, had gotten the same impression of Victoria. There were moments when she showed a very different side. Emily suddenly remembered the day of Daniel's surgery, where she herself had been completely desperate and Victoria had consoled her and helped her through it. At that time she had believed she had been accepted by Daniel's mother. A mistake, as it turned out later. "Do you want me to talk to her?" Emily suggested.

"Would you do that?" Charlotte looked at her with a grateful look. "Perhaps you can reason with her, to do something against my father's ill-treatment." She shook her head slightly. "I don't know what is wrong with him. He was never like that before," she admitted, "though they had arguments before."

"Where did he go?"

Charlotte shrugged. "My mom doesn't know, he just ran out of the house."

A terrible thought crossed Emily's mind suddenly. What if Conrad had followed her father to avenge him? If he was not afraid to attack his own wife, what would he do with her lover? "We have to find him," she said resolutely. "There will be a bloodbath when both meet!" She saw Charlotte looking at her horrified and quickly added. "This is just figure of speech." But she knew at the moment when she said that, that it was a lie. In her mind she saw again the eyes of her father, when he had told her the reason of his appearance; Revenge on Conrad Grayson. At that time a cold shiver ran down her spine, when she had recognized the hate in it. Opposite Conrad, who had been accustomed from his early youth to getting everything he wanted, even with unfair, corrupt means. If both men were to stand against each other with the aim of destroying each other, there would be blood, literally!

"Emily?" Charlotte looked at her anxiously. "It wasn't figure of speech, wasn't it?"

She nodded hesitantly. "I don't think David bluffed and if Conrad believes he's to blame for his relationship with your mother, he'll take revenge for that. He won't give up his marriage without a fight."

"You're right," Charlotte said. "I don't know everything about it, but it was the same back then. David wanted to elope with my mother, but my dad prevented it."

Emily reached for the phone. "I'm calling Nolan," she said resolutely. "And maybe Ava is there too. I need a babysitter for Julian."

"You help me with the search?" It was more of a statement than a question.

"Of course." Emily looked at her in surprise. "Do you think I'd let you go alone?"

Charlotte breathed a sigh of relief. "I'm really scared," she confessed. "I can't look into my dad's eyes anymore, after what he did to my mom!"

"You're not alone," Emily said emphatically. "From now on you will come to me if you have a problem and we will solve it together." She hoped she didn't promise too much, because she had no idea how to prevent a fight between Conrad and her father. She remembered her plan to inform Nolan and finally began dialing his number.