Realization

Beach House, Hamptons

Emily couldn't remember the last time when she was this nervous. Several eggs had landed on the floor by trying to make a cake dough. And instead of sugar she almost added salt, which she fortunately had noticed in time. But that was not all. She had tipped over a vase, which she had just filled with water to put fresh flowers in and had to clean up everything again. And there was still time until 4 o'clock. She was glad Daniel was at the editorial office. So she didn't have to lie about her guest. On the pretext of going shopping, she had also managed to coax Charlotte into babysitting Julian. So everything was perfectly organized for a reunion with her father. Sighing, she looked around the kitchen. The cake baking had left traces. She was just about to pick up the broken eggs from the floor as she heard a knock at the door. Startled, she looked to the main entrance and realized that it was in fact her father, a little earlier than planned. She rose, threw the cloth with the eggs in the trash can and went to the door and opened it.

"I'm sorry," he said, contrite. "I know I'm too early. But Victoria is at the hair salon, and I could sneak out of the house unnoticed."

"It's fine. Come in!" She opened the door a little further so that he could enter. Then she watched him look around and saw a wistful smile appearing on his lips. She knew how he felt. It was the same for her when she came back to that place, almost four years ago.

"Nothing has changed," he said quietly, walking through the open spaces.

"I didn't change anything when I moved in here," she said softly. How could she with the memory of her childhood and father in her mind? She gestured to the dining table. "Let's sit down! I made a cake."

He took a seat and smiled. "You could smell that from outside."

It was strange to sit with him at a table, as if time had stood still. They had often sat together and eaten there, or even played board games. Childhood memories, which meant a lot to her. She wanted to learn more about him, for example, what had happened to him since his imprisonment. "You said you lived here with your daughter many years ago?" She began with her interrogation.

He nodded. "Yes, it's been twenty years now. Amanda was just a child then."

For a moment, Emily wondered what she could tell him that he wouldn't get suspicious. "I've known Amanda," she said. "We were friends." It was not even a lie, because Emily and her had become friends in the juvie before they decided to change their identities. "I'm Carl's godmother," she added as he looked at her calmly.

"I'd like to get to know him if Jack allows it," he said.

The way he looked at her made her heart beating faster. If she had recognized him, maybe he had recognized her, too. She cleared her throat. "Coffee or tea?" She offered him.

"Coffee."

She was glad that she could stand up and make herself useful. So perhaps he didn't notice how agitated she felt. But when she poured him coffee, her hands were trembling so much that she spilled some coffee on the table. "Oh no! I'm sorry!" She ran back and took a dish cloth. "I don't know why I'm so clumsy today."

"No problem." He took the cloth from her hand and wiped the wet coffee spot on the table himself.

As he raised his head and watched her again with this piercing look, she felt a stab in her heart. Why couldn't she tell him who she really was, if she wanted nothing more than that?

"I'd like to visit Amanda's grave," he said out of the blue.

I'm not dead! I'm alive! It shouted within her. The situation, which she believed to have under control, became increasingly weird and the desire to tell him the truth grew steadily. She knew she couldn't bear it much longer. His close proximity raised too many memories. She pushed the chair back and rose. "Let's go!" She said curtly.

He looked at her, surprised. "What right now? I thought we wanted to eat the cake and drink coffee."

"Later." She reached for a jacket and her car keys. "The cemetery is not far from here. We still have to drive a few miles by car." She was aware of his scrutinizing gaze, which had been resting on her the whole time while driving to the cemetery. She deliberately avoided looking him straight in the eye. She was afraid of what she was going to see there. When they reached the graveyard, she got out and waited for him to follow her. A few minutes later they stood together in front of the two graves, with the grave stones embedded in the ground and the inscriptions 'David Clarke' and 'Amanda Clarke'.

She felt his eyes resting on her again and turned to him slowly. "They are both still alive," she said softly, then lowered her head. She had fought for a long time, whether she should tell him the truth. And although she was aware of the consequences of her decision, she felt that she had done the right thing. As his hand groped for her, she closed her eyes. She had known or better had felt that he had recognized the truth. She closed her hand around his.

"Amanda..." he whispered, then turned towards her. "I wasn't sure," he said, his voice shaking slightly. "I couldn't grasp the feelings that I had. But just now, I knew it all at once." He took both of her hands. "My Amanda," he said gently. "I've finally found you again after all these years!"

"Daddy..." Despite all her reservations, she let herself be pulled into his arms and wrapped hers around his waist. "I missed you so much!" Tears came into her eyes as he returned the embrace. She didn't know how long they'd been standing there, tightly hugging each other. But finally he stepped back and looked at her with a serious face.

"David and Amanda Clarke are finally reunited," he said firmly, looking down at the two graves.

She looked at him, frowning. Something in his voice made her shiver for a moment. But she pushed her brooding thoughts aside. A new life lay ahead for them, freed from their past life and freed from lies. And with that thought she snuggled back into his arms and tried to forget everything just for the moment.