Resurrection

'Stowaway', Montauk

The party was already in full swing when Emily and Daniel arrived at the 'Stowaway'. After a brief greeting of the birthday boy, Daniel immediately made his way to the counter where he ordered a non-alcoholic cocktail. They had been silent on their way to Montauk, and Emily was still unsure of his interrogation. As she looked around, she saw Ava in the crowd and walked towards her.

"Hey!" She greeted her and then gave her a hug. "You really togged yourself up. For Jack?" She winked at her.

"What?" Ava looked down at herself. "I thought evening dresses would be obligatory on such an occasion." She smiled uncertainly and looked down at her knee-length, turquoise cocktail dress, which was held only by spaghetti straps.

"It is," Emily confirmed. "It's just so unfamiliar to see you in anything other than jeans and sneakers." She pointed to Ava's long hair. "And open hair," she added.

Ava shrugged. "I can't wear long hair as a bartender. That's why I always make them in a pony-tail. It's convenient."

"There are many guests here," Emily noted after looking around.

"Yes, and he had said he only wanted to invite a 'few friends'." She rolled her eyes.

"Jack's got a lot of friends." Emily smirked. "Tell me what's going on between you two?"

"What do you mean?"

"You and Jack?" Emily made it clear.

"There's nothing." Ava nervously fumbled at her straps. "He's my boss, I'm his employee," she said simply.

Emily looked over the crowd and suddenly smiled when she saw Jack, who was looking straight in their direction. "I think he'd like to change that." She gestured to him. "The way he looks at you is very telling. You know, a look says more than ..."

"Nonsense!" Ava interrupted. "You're just imagining things. He's only kind to his guests."

"You're not a guest," Emily clarified. She looked at her friend thoughtfully. "Why are you acting so weird towards him? I know you've had bad experiences with men. But Jack is different. He's sincere and amiable."

"Don't let Daniel hear that you speak so highly of your ex," Ava said, grinning. "He could get the wrong idea."

Emily sighed. For a change, Ava had hit the bull's eye, even if his doubts were without any reason. "Jack and I never had a real relationship," she said. "I was already with Daniel. We just kissed. That's it."

"And he knows about you," Ava added. "He knows about your true identity."

Emily nodded. "Yes, him, Nolan and Aiden, and of course you. You are the only ones who know about it. And I don't want anyone else to know." She sighed softly. "Amanda Clarke is dead. I'm Emily Grayson now. That's how it should be."

Ava nodded sympathetically. "I don't know what should change that. Your secret is safe with me." She made a gesture as if to lock up her lips.

"It means a lot to me that I now have a girlfriend to whom I can confide everything." Emily smiled and let her eyes wander over the crowd again. But suddenly her face grew stiff as she saw a familiar face among the guests. "What's Sara doing here?" She said, pointing to the young woman at the buffet.

Ava followed her gaze and frowned. "You know the woman?" She asked in astonishment. "I think she's working for the catering service."

Of course, how else could it have been? Emily closed her eyes frustrated. As if there was only one catering company throughout New York! She looked quickly at the counter and was relieved that Daniel was still sitting there on his bar stool, sipping his cocktail. He had apparently not seen her.

"You're literally drilling a hole in her with your eyes," Ava noticed, grinning. "Who is this woman?"

"Daniel's ex," Emily replied more forcefully than intended.

"Oops ..." Ava rolled her eyes. "How embarrassing!"

"For her, not for me," Emily said, while she still had fixed her gaze on Sara. "After all, I got Daniel."

"Hmm ..." Ava ran her fingers through her hair. A gesture that she always made when she was in thoughts. "I think your husband has just spotted her."

"Excuse me." Emily turned and went straight to the counter and caught him before he could reach Sara. "Charlotte just called," she said, pointing to her cell phone that she'd just pulled out of her pocket. "Julian is crying the entire time. And she doesn't know how to calm him. "She took his arm and pulled him towards the exit. "We must go home!"

Confused, he looked at her. "We've just come," he said, frowning. "Did you tell her to check the diaper, or maybe he's just hungry."

Emily nodded. "She already did that and he's still crying." They had almost reached the door as it opened and a man entered the bar. He had short, dark-blond hair, with gray strands and a full beard. For a moment they stood directly opposite each other, Emily could look into his deep blue eyes, which triggered a peculiar Deja Vu feeling in her. She felt her heart erratically pounding and fought for air. As he turned his gaze away from her and went to the counter, she could no longer bear it. She tore herself off Daniel and rushed towards the restroom. She heard him shouting her name, but she couldn't stop. When she reached the restroom, she leaned on the sink and tried to suppress the panic that came over her. It can't be, it flashed through her mind. He's dead! He died in jail twelve years ago! But there was no doubt. She would have recognized these eyes everywhere. She heard the door open and someone entering.

"Emily? Is everything okay? Daniel said you'd suddenly run away." Ava gently stroked a damp hair from her forehead. "What happened?" She asked worried.

"He's ... back," Emily stammered, still staring blindly into the sink.

"Who's back?" Ava asked, uncomprehending.

Emily slowly raised her head and looked at Ava with a blank expression. "My father ..." she said feebly. "David Clarke... He's back!"