Talk

'Stowaway', Montauk

"The coast is clear. You can come out again."

Emily exhaled relieved, as Ava reappeared. She had been standing and waiting all the while in the restroom. She was still befuddled about the sudden appearance of her father. "Did you see him?" She asked nervously.

Ava nodded. "I even talked to him. You were right, it's David Clarke. He introduced himself to Jack and me."

"Oh my God!" Emily groaned. "I was hoping I was wrong." She shook her head slightly. "How is it possible that he survived?"

"I don't know. But he said that he had been in trouble with the law and therefore had stayed a long time abroad. He also said that he had traveled a lot. He didn't know Amanda was dead. Jack told him."

"How did he take it?"

Ava looked at her, frowning. "Well, as expected. She was his daughter after all. Of course, it made him feel low." She cleared her throat. "He called her his little girl."

Emily turned her wrist and looked at the Infinity symbol. Tears suddenly ran down her cheeks as she remembered how her father had told her the meaning at that time.

"Oh, Emily! I'm sorry!" Ava gently put an arm around her shoulder. "That was tactless of me. I didn't think about that he was referring to you."

"It's okay." Emily pulled a paper towel from the dispenser and dabbed her eyes carefully to prevent that she smeared her make-up. "I'm grateful to you for speaking to him. So at least I know that he still remembers me."

"He asked about the new owner of the beach house."

Emily eyes widened in alarm. "What did you say?"

"The question was directed to Jack, and he told him he didn't know." She sighed softly. "I don't think he was satisfied with the answer. Probably he will go to the beach house himself now to pay the new owner a visit."

Emily looked at her, horrified. "Then he will learn that I live there. What am I supposed to do?" She asked desperately.

"He doesn't know you're his daughter," Ava said. "Unless you want to tell him."

"No way!" Emily began to pace nervously back and forth. "He must never know! Amanda is dead. I'm not going to destroy what I've built up with Daniel!"

"Do you think he would leave you if he knew you are Amanda?" Ava asked, frowning.

Emily looked at her with a blank expression. "Maybe," she said slowly. "I have lied to him for years, and he has forgiven me. I don't know if he would forgive me another lie. I would also have to explain why I came to the Hamptons. He would find out that I wanted to take revenge on his parents and only used him. He's already so suspicious, anyway, after Victoria told him exactly that."

"What did she tell him?" Ava asked curiously.

"I don't know exactly," Emily admitted. "But today we had an argument about it. Victoria probably wanted to make him believe that I just came to the Hamptons to avenge myself on the Graysons. Of course I denied it. But I don't know if he believed me." She looked at Ava urgently. "Do you understand now why I can't reveal my true identity?"

Ava nodded. "What do you want to do now... with your father, I mean?"

She shook her head. "I don't know," she admitted quietly. "When our eyes met at the door, I thought for a moment that he'd recognized me. But then he went on. Maybe I'm lucky and he doesn't recognize me anymore. Then I can continue to be Emily."

Ava pointed to her wrist. "You should have it removed or masked if you don't want him to know about your secret."

Emily looked thoughtful at her tattoo. "Yes, you're right. That would be too obvious."

"Are you ready to go back to the party?" Ava asked worried.

Emily nodded. "Yes, I'm ready."

As they stepped out of the door, Daniel approached them. "Emily! Are you okay?" he asked concerned.

"She just felt a little sick," Ava lied. "It's probably because of the bad air in here. You should take her home so she can rest a while."

Daniel nodded and took Emily's arm gently. "Then let's go home. We wanted to go to Julian anyway."

As he led her out, Emily glanced at Ava and Jack. She didn't know if and how long she could keep her true identity a secret. But at the moment she was just glad that Daniel was there for her. Out of impulse she leaned forward and kissed him.

"What did I do to deserve this?" He asked, looking confused.

"For trusting me," she said softly. She saw how he frowned and kissed him again. I won't let my happiness be destroyed! By nothing and no one! I struggled too hard for it. With this thought, she got into the car and let him take her home.