Attraction

'Stowaway', Montauk

For two months now, Ava has been working in the bar and, after an intensive training period, she developed into a real bartender who couldn't only mix all sorts of drinks, but was also popular among the guests. Everyone greeted with a friendly smile and wasn't averse to a little chat. In her opinion it was essential not only to do her job, but also to learn more about the guests. Another reason why they liked her and gave her generous tips. Since most of them were regular guests, she was accepted in their circle. With one exception: Jack Porter, the owner of the 'Stowaway'. Ever since her first encounter, she felt strangely self-conscious in his presence, without knowing where the feeling came from. He wasn't Charles Bay, though he had a striking resemblance to him. But Jack was quite different, friendly, charming, warm-hearted. Perhaps it was the contrast that made her insecure, and the fact that, despite her shyness, she felt drawn to him. Unlike Charlie, who she had immediately blindly trusted, she tried to keep her distance from him. A state that wasn't easy to maintain, because as the bar owner he was present most of the time. Even now he just came down the stairs and looked for her. Quickly Ava turned around and pretended to be busy. But she could feel his presence as he stood before the bar counter.

"Um ... Ava?" He said hesitantly, waiting for her to turn to him. "As you may know, my birthday is in two weeks. I would like to give a party. Nothing big or elaborate, just a few friends."

She nodded. "I take care of the order. Is a birthday cake needed?" She asked in a matter-of-fact tone.

He looked at her, frowning. "I don't think so. But I'm not here because of the order." He cleared his throat. "I wanted to invite you, too."

She held her head down, so that he couldn't see how his presence made her insecure. "Better not," she said tersely. "I don't like to mix professional life with private life."

"Well, since the party will be held here, this can't be completely avoided," he replied dryly.

She lifted her head and looked at him. "Of course, I will be available with my working power," she said with a stoic look.

"Actually, I had planned to give my employees the evening off," he said slowly. "A catering company will take care of everything. They supply food and beverages and also take care that someone's helping out behind the counter."

"Then I don't think it's necessary for me to come." She said tightly and noticed that her hands were trembling as she gripped a beer glass and mechanically began to wipe it with a towel.

"I would like to get to know you better."

The glass that she had just polished slipped out of her fingers and crashed on the floor. "Crap!" She bent down and wanted to pick up the broken pieces as she felt Jack's presence beside her.

"Don't touch it!" He warned. "We better should sweep this together."

She looked up at him and for a moment they locked eyes. That she still had her hand on the shard, she only noticed when she felt a sharp pain and then saw the blood dripping from a wound in her hand.

"You're bleeding!" He pulled her carefully up and went with her to the sink.

Like an electric shock, she flinched as he touched her. She had never experienced anything like that before, and was confused and frightened at the same time about her own physical reaction. Her first impulse was to pull her hand away. But she forced herself to keep still until he had rinsed and taped the wound. "Thank you," she muttered, pulling her hand away.

"I don't want my employees to bleed out in my bar," he said, smiling. "Things like that can harm the reputation."

That smile! She felt her knees turn into jelly.

"Hey! Everything okay? You're suddenly so pale!" He took her arm and led her around the counter to one of the tables where he sat her onto a chair.

"I feel queasy when I see blood," was the only thing that came to mind. She couldn't tell him that his closeness confused her, because he reminded her of her ex-fiancée. Or maybe there was a different reason why she reacted so strongly to his physical nearness. She looked up at him. A mistake, as she found out immediately. When their gazes suddenly connect again she had trouble not to sink into his green eyes. "Why ..." she began hesitantly. "Why do you want to get to know me better?"

"You've been working here for two months now and I know practically nothing about you, except that you're a friend of Nolan and live at his place." He shrugged. "I've always had a friendly relationship with my employees. I think it strengthens a better cooperation."

Ava nodded with her throat feeling constricted. She almost felt something like disappointment at his reasons, though she should be relieved. He wasn't interested in her. He only wanted to get to know her better as an employee. "I understand," she said tightly, then rose quickly. "I'm sweeping up now and take care of the order for tomorrow."

He also rose. "It's all right. I'll do it," he said firmly. "You can leave work for the day."

She nodded and went around the counter again to get her things. "Thank you, that's nice." She was already at the door when he spoke to her again.

"I hope you'll come."

"What?" She turned to him, confused.

"To my birthday party," he explained. "Nolan will be there, too."

Ava nodded mechanically, although she wasn't sure if it was a good idea to meet Jack Porter privately. "Yes," she confirmed. "I'm coming." She didn't see how his mouth twitched as she opened the door and left the bar.