Allies

Nolan's Mansion, Hamptons

The next morning

Nolan was surprised when he saw Emily with Julian in his baby carrier standing in front of his door early in the morning. Frowning questioningly, he let her in. "You're an early bird today," he said, taking the baby carrier and putting it on the sofa. He took a brief glance inside. "Is he sleeping?"

Emily nodded and sat down in one of the armchairs. "Daniel went to the editorial office half an hour ago." She pushed a strand of hair out of her face. "I couldn't stand it at home anymore."

"Do you have trouble with Daniel?" Nolan asked worried.

"No, everything is fine between us." She shook her head. "I guess you know my father is alive and back in the Hamptons?" She said, coming straight to the point.

Nolan nodded hesitantly. "I wasn't sure if it was really him. But yes, I saw him at Jack's party. And Ava told me later that he even introduced himself to her and Jack." He frowned. "I wouldn't have thought that he'd give away his true identity. Does he know you're really his daughter?"

"He knows it," Emily confirmed. "I told him myself, even if he had guessed it."

"I wanted to invite him. However, I have no idea where he lives at the moment." He looked at her questioningly. "Do you know where he is?"

"He's at Grayson Manor, with Victoria." Emily rolled her eyes. "That's why I'm here. I need your help."

"My help?" Nolan looked at her confused. "What exactly do you mean by that?"

Emily leaned back in the chair and sighed softly. "I'm pretty sure my father just came back to take revenge on the Graysons."

Nolan had expected everything, but not that. And Emily was serious. He could see it in her expression. "Have you forgotten the diaries?" He asked slowly. "You've read it yourself. In them he asked you to give up your plans for revenge. He probably guessed how you would react. And he wanted you to be happy. He had recognized himself early enough what hate and vengeance could do to someone." He shook his head slightly. "I think you're wrong. Your father was never out for revenge. On the contrary. He wanted to make peace with everybody."

"You weren't there," Emily insisted. "You haven't seen this look and heard his words. And he warned me not to interfere with his business." She shuddered as she remembered his piercing look. "That wasn't a friendly request, Nolan, that was a threat! He is afraid that I disrupt his plan."

"What plan?" He asked, looking at her confused. "I still don't understand."

"He wants Victoria back." The moment she said it, she knew it was the truth. "I watched her from the porch." She raised her eyebrows. "They have embraced and kissed each other!"

Nolan's eyes widened in surprise, then he let out a soft whistle through his teeth. "Now it makes sense." He nodded. "He's trying to pinch Conrad's wife like he already tried twenty years ago."

"Do you believe me now?" She looked at him hopefully.

He nodded hesitantly. "As I said. It makes sense. But I hardly believe Victoria will play along. She's too much attached to the Grayson's name and the wealth. She won't give it up for him." He frowned. "Besides, I can't imagine that Conrad would allow that. He doesn't love Victoria as much as he did in the beginning, but in case she leaves him they will get a bad press. And people like him can't afford to have negative press."

"His exact words were, 'I'll reclaim what they had stolen from me twenty years ago'," Emily quoted her father. "What do you think he might mean?"

Nolan looked at her thoughtfully. If David had really changed sides, it was clear what he meant. And then Emily was probably right that he would first try to get Victoria back before he took everything else that belonged to Conrad Grayson. "How can I help?" He asked.

"You and my father have been close friends. Maybe you can talk to him and make him realize how stupid his plan to take revenge is!" Emily begged.

"That's rich, coming from you." Nolan said smirking. "Besides, I can remember that you didn't listen to me when I told you the same thing."

"We have to try. Please, Nolan! You are the only one who can help me. There's nobody else I can ask." She turned to him with a pleading look and he softened.

"All right," he replied. "I will talk to him and try to find out what he's really up to."

"Thank you, Nolan! I owe you!" She picked up the baby carrier and went to the door.

"I can't promise anything," he called after her.

She stopped. "I've worked so hard to make things right," she said to him. "I won't allow him to destroy all this!"

He was amazed at her resolute tone, and yet he could understand her. She had found her peace. And as a part of the Grayson family she would defend them. If necessary even against her own father. He hoped it wouldn't come that far. But he needed help and a piece of advice. Jack Porter was the only one he could think of, who knew everything about Amanda from the beginning. Sighing, he reached for the car keys and made his way to Montauk.