Interrogation

Beach House, Hamptons

Two weeks later

"Tell me one reason why I should go to that party?"

"Because we were invited." Annoyed, Emily rolled her eyes. It wasn't the first time she had an argument about this with him. At the day they had received the invitation to Jack's 30th birthday, Daniel had openly showed his resentment in attending this event. She couldn't imagine that he was still jealous, because what she had with Jack was long over. If one could even refer to it as a relationship. She wasn't even sure whether she had ever truly loved him, or whether it was simply the memory of her childhood. Anyway, there had once been a time when she had been very close to Jack. Much to the dismay of Daniel and also Aiden. "Besides, it would be your first public appearance after your injury," she added.

"And you think I have to prove to Jack Porter that I'm physically fit again?" He raised his eyebrows.

"Don't be childish, Daniel! You know that I didn't mean that. There will also be other guests, if you're afraid I could start a thing again with Jack!" She glared at him angrily.

"It wouldn't be completely unlikely, since he and Margaux parted ways."

She looked at him, bewildered. "Are you serious?!" She went up to him and held her rings under his nose. "Forever and ever... Do you remember? These were no empty rhetoric when you asked me the second time, if I wanted to be your wife. I didn't say 'yes' out of a commitment, but because I really loved you! And nothing has changed since then!"

He took a step towards her and then clasped her into his arms. "I'm sorry," he said softly, kissing her forehead. "I can't help it. Jack Porter is a thorn in my side."

"He's not even interested in me," Emily said. She saw his questioning look and sighed. "Well, okay, I'll tell you but you have to promise me not to tell anyone."

"Spill!" He sat down on a chair and looked at her expectantly.

"When I visited Nolan recently, he told me that Jack had grilled him about Ava. He wanted to know how they got to know each other and if she had a boyfriend." She rolled her eyes. "Nolan thinks Jack has a crush on her."

"And what about her?"

Emily shrugged. "I have no idea. I wanted to ask her when we're at the party."

"I never asked you this, but what was the reason why you were on the island, I mean before Aiden kidnapped you?"

She noticed her heart beating faster. "How do you know that?" She asked hesitantly.

"I think Nolan mentioned it."

Emily pondered what answer she could possibly give him without raising his suspicion. "For self-defense," she replied then, which wasn't completely untrue. "If you live in foster homes or in the juvie, you should know how to defend yourself in case of an attack. I was there to learn that."

"Did you ever have to use it?"

She nodded. "A couple of times. The juvie is a dangerous place. They don't treat you with kid gloves."

"Did you have friends there?"

She held her breath. He couldn't know about her real identity, could he? His questions were so focused on a particular answer that she was almost convinced that he knew she was Amanda Clarke. But that was impossible. She shook her head emphatically. "Why... why do you ask me all these questions?" She asked reluctantly.

He looked at her thoughtfully before he answered. "My mother has such a crazy theory about you..."

"What did she say?" She cut in, feeling panic rising inside her.

"She claims you solely came to the Hamptons to take revenge on our family," he admitted slowly, his gaze fixed on her.

Emily felt an invisible hand reaching for her throat. "That... it's total nonsense," she stammered. "I didn't even know you before."

"And yet you lied to get access to my family."

"It was almost four years ago", she said tensely. "I had learned how rich the Graysons were and just wanted my share of the cake."

"You wanted to get the Grayson name," he concluded.

Emily nodded. She didn't know why the conversation had suddenly taken such a turnaround, but one thing she knew now. Victoria was not the good mother-in-law she had thought she was. She still played a double game with her.

"Then you have succeeded."

She looked at him, stunned. "After all that we've been through in the past weeks and months, you still believe I'm lying to you?" She asked incredulously.

He shook his head slowly. "No, I believe you. I just wanted to clear up a misunderstanding." He looked at his watch, then frowned. "Don't we have to get dressed if we want to go to this party?"

Emily nodded. "I'll just take Julian to Charlotte. Then I'll come back." She went into the nursery, took her sleeping son and put him in the baby carrier. And as she walked over to the Manor, tears were running down her cheeks.